I have a 2003 GMC Sonoma

KIFFIN1
  • 2003 GMC SONOMA

I have a 2003 GMC Sonoma. It is 4 wheel drive and has a 4.3 liter engine. Occasionally I get a loud high pitch whine at highway speeds. It sounds like it is under the vehicle and toward the front. It gets much louder as I decelerate. It will stop if I shift the truck into 4 wheel drive. This is getting more frequent over the last few days. What could that be? Thanks.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 1:30 AM

HOMER1967
  • 902 POSTS

I would suspect a problem with the front differential.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 2:25 AM
KIFFIN1

So where should I go from here? Do you think this is something inside the front differential? Would it need to be rebuilt or replaced (i.E. Just get a used differential from a junk yard)? Are there anythings I can do to verify what exactly it is? I have drained and refilled the gear oil in the front differential and I could not find any metal shavings. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 3:43 PM
HOMER1967
  • 902 POSTS

I would suggest that you take it to a shop where they have the correct listening devices to put it in the air and listen to it

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

Other Transfer Case 4x4 Loud Questions