P2004 ON MY

2003 Ford Focus

Taytheking

Hey I just recently got this code like 2 mins after getting my catalytic convertor fixed. Resettled the Cel light and it cam back on the next key cycle. I went back to the mechanics and the code they gave me was p2004. I want to fix this myself but I need someone to literally baby step me, even using pictures if they can. I know that the code has something to do with the imrc but with my lack of experience I can't find it. Can anyone help me locate the imrc, give me ideas on what may be wrong with it and give me some solutions. I feel one I located the imrc I can approached the solution better.

My car is a 2003 ford focus wagon 2.3l engine is that helps

mldaniels2000

On intake manifold at back of engine.

Taytheking

Can you show me a picture or diagram, I'd not even know what the part even looks like on this car, I googled it but there are a million different parts, even when I input my car type in

Taytheking

And that's the imrc? The one that's giving me the error code per say? Or at least the place I should start looking at right? (Sorry I'm a newbie)

mldaniels2000

Yes, make sure the 2 lines are still connected to it.

Taytheking

I see two of those on the manifold, are they both the imrc, if so which one of them is bank one?

mldaniels2000

Your vehicle only has one bank of cylinders. Just check wiring to imrc module, either one. Not sure why it would have two though. Should only have one.

Taytheking

January, 27, 2014 AT 6:03 AM

Personally I believe the owner before me had her manifold replaced so it's different, but yeah as you can see there are two haha.

Taytheking

January, 27, 2014 AT 6:06 AM

Here is a better picture

mldaniels2000

January, 27, 2014 AT 11:52 AM

That rustier one may be your problem. Try replacement.

Taytheking

Oh I believe that's just the outer part holding the actual imrc into place, it itself isn't rusty. Is there anyway I can test the both of them to see if they are working?

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen