2003 Ford Explorer engine idle

• 1 POST

I repaired a vacuum hose going to the throttle body! When I start the vehicle up, it idles fine! When I put it in gear, sometimes the rpm's drop real low and it wants to die! Sometimes it will die if I'm sitting at a light or the rpm's will jump up and down and eventually will die! There are no codes, so I wouldn't think it would be anything associated with a emission part! Any help would be deeply appreciated! Thank you!

Friday, May 1st, 2015 AT 4:30 AM

Gonna let you read a story

Taking a vacuum line loose (letting the intake suck in air) may have bypassed a "going bad" or "dirty IAC" (fix the issue, put the line back on.)

The "IAC" regulates air to idle the modern engine. Its a bypass over the "closed throttle plate" and the computer moves a plunger within it to regulate just the right amount of air flow thru it

This may not be the answer, but you can EZily rule it out! This will sorta guide you to what you have to do, it is really EZ to do!

My wifes' is on the top and has 2 bolts. Our Escape would idle low, then it got to point it would die when you stopped. Revving + holding brake was only way to keep it running.

Took it to fellow R/C airplane pilot, he doubles as a S.C. State HWY DEPT mechanic.(I still live in the carburetor age!).

When I got to his house, he was repairing a tractor. Told him my sob story. Escape was still barely running.

I raised the hood. He said, (and I quote)."It could be the IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC)", as he pointed to it, and emphasized it with a sharp rap using the wrench in his hand.

It straightened right up, and ran darn good!

That was a 15/16 Craftsman wrench, box end, kinda a medium rap.

We removed and cleaned it, it may have gone on being Fine, for a lot longer.

Since it was my wife's, I took no chances, with my Well-Being.

YES, I visited parts store and replaced it, figgered it had 100,000 miles on it, and constantly was a moving part, replacement of this component, was just preventative maintenance in my eyes.

Hope this helps. Hope I am dead on! Cleaning would be FREE (can of throttle body cleaner), and at least Maybe eliminate this factor out of the equation. You can go on and replace it later, if you have the same feelings about it as I did. It is not really expensive. Yours will look very similar to ours

Please let me know how this goes.

This might aid you now and later! See my link

The Medic

Friday, May 1st, 2015 AT 7:32 PM