2003 Ford Expedition Starting problems

WPAXTON
  • 2003 FORD EXPEDITION
  • TURBO
Have changed starter checked battery and alternator still doesn't want to turn over runs for a couple days then won't start lights and everything else comes on with key could it be the ignition switch
Thursday, September 25th, 2014 AT 2:13 PM

When it doesn't start, does the starter still engage and turn the engine in an attempt to start it, or is there no sound?
-2
Thursday, September 25th, 2014 AT 6:27 PM
WPAXTON
Some days it makes a starting sound then some days no sound just a buzzing sound needles on gauges all move over like the battery is dead
+1
Friday, September 26th, 2014 AT 2:09 PM
It almost sounds like there is a total power loss. Have you checked to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight? Have you checked to make sure the main ground from the battery to the engine block is clean and tight?
Friday, September 26th, 2014 AT 8:05 PM
WPAXTON
We have checked all battery cables all are ok could it be a main fuse somewhere also can service dept. Check diagnosis with it not running we give up don't know what else to do our family mechanic has checked everything could the ground be bad or can we hook it to something else to check it thanks
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 12:05 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to do this.

Get a helper and have that person turn the key to the start position while you check for voltage to the smaller wire on the starter. There should be 12v in the start position. If there is, the starter is bad.

Let me know what you find.
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 7:17 PM
I just reread one of the posts you sent to me. If all the gauges show act as if the battery is dead at times, I really feel there is a bad connection at some point. I have had vehicles that when the key was turned to the start position, everything would shut down. A few minutes later, the car would regain power and then start. ALWAYS, it was a bad connection at the battery or a weak ground.
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 7:19 PM
WPAXTON
Thank you for your help we tried the fuses today the car made a buzzing sound under the dash we wiggled fuses and it started there was a relay switch fuse there that was bad we bought new one and it started but engine light came back on so we are taking it to get it checked.
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 3:02 PM
Let me know what you find.
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 7:40 PM
WPAXTON
On the expedition the diagnostic test came up with the main fuse box system under dash went out causing the car to loose power and trip relay switches have to buy a new main fuse box for three hundred fourty dollars
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 1:33 PM
That would do it, but really isn't a common problem.
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 6:10 PM