Instrument cluster gauges not working

CB781
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My odometer says no bus the instrument cluster doesn't work all lights are on and gauges are all not working, nor does anything on the steering column. No blinkers, high beam, cruise, four ways, brake lights and wipers don't work. After it sits for a while everything will work again for a while then the same thing. Had the fuse box out and checked all the connections underneath it looks alright no corrosion. Put dialectic grease on the contacts and put it back together. It worked for awhile then the same thing. Any ideas. Also when we tried to do a diagnostic with scan tool we were getting an error
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 11:39 PM

WRENCHTECH
It sounds like you have a TIPM that is out which is common. You will need to have a shop program it in for you to get the car to work again. Here is the TIPM location so you can see what you are in for when doing the job.

(Check out the diagrams below.)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 2:01 AM
CB781
Thanks for your quick reply. I think I need to rephrase my question. I have read no bus means that the instrument cluster is not receiving the required information it needs to operate I am wondering which wires this operates on so I can trouble shoot these to see if it's just a simple wiring issue i.E. Corroded connector or wire. Before spending $700 on a new cluster. Also why would a defective cluster cause my brake lights and controls on the steering column to quit working at them same time?

Thanks again for your reply. Unfortunately I've already taken this to a shop and a professional scan tool has been used as I stated in my first question. The data port is not working and this also seems to be part of the above problems thus it can not retrieve any codes to tell me what is wrong. You really have not answered anything I already new that "no bus" was a communication problem. With the cluster not receiving any info I was only wondering which modules and there location it would be receiving info from so I could check the wiring to see if there was any corrosion that might be causing the trouble. I've always found that checking the simple things first, and if that does not solve the problem then take it to a shop. I work with wiring every day and have in the past worked on networks and all communications happen over some type of wiring it would be nice to eliminate that first. So once I did that I had the TIMP replaced for the tune of $650.00 bucks and the problem went away the truck is working great again. Thanks for your help. I love this site.
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 9:33 AM
WRENCHTECH
Most scan tools cannot access communications networks or give you the information you need. This requires a specialized DRB scan tool that can access the modules that are working and identify the ones not communication. There are numerous modules on this network including ABS, Airbag, PCM. BCM, Instrument cluster, lighting modules, traction modules, etc, etc. You are not equipped to diagnose this properly.

Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 2:30 AM
CAR FLIPPER
I fixed that before. You have to get wiring diagram for network modules on your car. Than see what type of network it is: Star, Serial, Serial-Paraller, Multiplex. Basically What happens is when one module on network goes dead or shorts internally it will shut down whole network so what you wana do is disconnect modules ONE AT A TIME on that network till your dash comes back to life. Now that you found a glitching module diagnose further or replace. I'm not ASE certified but common sense always wins.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 7:41 PM
KEN
Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help people.

Best, Ken
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 3:57 PM
JLBWELDS
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Hi I have 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 I plugged in a 2005 instrument cluster and the lights went out.I replaced the ignition fuse and the cluster fuse, re hooked up the 2003 cluster and the cluster lights up but none of the gauges work including the digital is odometer. All the furies are Gd but no speddo are tack air anything but your gear indicator? So lost
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 4:00 PM (Merged)
Unfortunately the 05 cluster was probably wired different so you may have screwed up the serial data lines a pro will have to scan this to see if they are or not.
JLBWELDS
Ok thanks man im a hd tech can have access to a snap on scanner for a box of beer or do u think its a factory reset idea
No scan it see what you come up with.
BKAEMPFE1989
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
  • RWD
So my problem is in the odometer spot it reads no bus and my check engine light is on I have had 3 different code readers read it and pulls no codes but check engine light is still on I have heard the no bus will make it do that. The truck seems to run fine gauges work it doesn't die randomly nothing out of the normal but I have no clue what to do my tags are out and I can't get inspection with the light on I would appreciate help I am a younger guy with not enough money to take it to I dealership
The code readers you are using are probably form an auto parts and won't read that you need a pro model from a garage or dealer to find the bus problem.
BKAEMPFE1989
I had auto zone read it and 2 mechanics and one of them had the really big nice snap on one said it was a high dollar code reader he didn't know why it wouldn't pull anything up but for me to have them run through my truck and have them run test it is 100 dollars just to diagnose
I really don't know what to tell you however check the grounds in the pic plus the one at center of dash and front of engine, that means making sure they are clean and not corroded. Also take the cluster out smack it a few times with your hand and then put it back in some guys have had luck with that because cluster controls bus voltage also check battery for condition including load test
BKAEMPFE1989
Ok thank you anyways for trying and could you send pics one more time they didn't show up on last message
I forgot to send it sorry it's only one. But try smacking the cluster first like I said only thing you'll have to remove it.
+1
ENGINE5GUY
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
1998 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

The speedomoter only works intermittently and the odometer only seems to work at highway speed. Any ideas.
Check the vehicle speed sensor
-1
AUTHORBOB
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 77500 miles

My truck dash cluster just stopped working. All the analog gages are dead. The ABS light and the air bag lights came on as well as low gas light. The digital odometer is flashing the mileage on and off. Any suggestions?
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 4:01 PM (Merged)
JENNA_5297
The same thing happened to my truck this morning, im thinking its just a fuse
AUTHORBOB
I had a lose connector under the dash. On the Ram it has two cluster fuses. One for cluster #1 & one for cluster #2. The dash is not bad to open. Good luck and let me knwo how it goes. Bob