COOLANT LEAK/NO HEAT

• DrPowercat
  • 2003 Chrysler Town and Country

Frequently replacing coolant in 2003 Chrysler Town and Country when heater stops blowing hot air, but there are no visible signs of a leak on ground. Where would the leak likely be located?

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 AT 6:50 PM

• caradiodoc

Possible leaking head gasket. You can add a bottle of dye to the coolant, then look at the tail pipe with a black light. The dye will show up bright yellow after driving a few miles.

Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 5:37 AM
  • DrPowercat

Thank you. I was afraid somebody was going to say that. I am going to take it in and have it looked at, but can you give me a ballpark for what that job might cost? It doesn't sound cheap.

Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 4:01 PM
  • caradiodoc

A typical head gasket job could run $500.00 to $700.00. Your engine is not an "interference" engine. Those engines have valves and pistons that occupy the same space but at different times, ... As long as the timing belt is installed correctly. Any problem with the belt breaking or jumping a few teeth, or incorrect installation after replacing head gaskets results in the need for a valve job which will add a whole bunch to the repair bill. Your engine uses a chain instead of a belt and it's not an interference engine.

Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 6:52 PM