Wont shift from park and the key won't come out of the ignition

ECR504
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

Today my cts shut off after I started it then wouldn't start and the anti-theft light is on. Ten minutes later it starts but won't shift out of park and the key won't come out and the anti-theft light remains on the entire time. It has a brand new battery. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:13 AM

See if the gear shifter is all the way in park, if so check to see if the battery is dead, the vehicle will not come out of park and can cause a problem getting the key out. The shift lock solenoid needs power to release from park. See if the brake lights are working. The brake light switch controls the park lock.

-2
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:16 AM
ECR504

WE have a repair shop we use for our vehicles. Would they have the equipment needed or do dealers only have the test equipment?

-2
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:18 AM

Most smaller shops don't. However, yours could. Do me a favor. This is going to sound stupid, but check to see if your brake lights are working and let me know what you find.

+1
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:23 AM
ECR504

The brake lights do work. When the car originally wouldnt start we found that the negative battery cable had stripped out and was loose. Would that have caused this snowball effect of different issues.

+1
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:31 AM

That is a good question. I asked about the brake lights because power goes through the brake light switch and to the park interlock system. If the brake light switch fails, no power goes to the solenoid. Thus, you can't take it out of park. I was hoping for something easy.

Regardless, at this point I feel confident that is deals with the security system. Something triggered it into lock down. It is odd that the neg battery terminal did that to you. Either someone over tightened it or it was left loose. However, that could have been the start of the entire problem.

I have three things for you to try before the shop. First, disconnect the battery (neg terminal) for a couple minutes and then reconnect it to see if the system will reset itself. If that doesn't work, remove the neg terminal again then the pos. Hold them together (away from the battery) for about 30 seconds and then replace and see if that resets it. Finally, turn the key to the run position and let it sit (not running). The security light should go out after about 10 minutes (over riding the security system) and then start it and check if that helps so you can at least drive it to the shop.

Let me know how things go for you.

-2
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:48 AM
ROAFAMILY

I have the same issue with mines. I will go ahead and do what you recommend jacobandnickolas

-1
Monday, September 19th, 2011 AT 1:25 PM
ECR504

Car has been at our shop two weeks now. I think we were better off taking it to Cadillac. Our shop is currently trying to reset the security system.

-2
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:07 PM
CADIEMAN

THE ALARM CAN BE RESET BY LOCKING AND UNLOCKING THE L/F OR R/F DOORS USING THE KEY IN THE DOOR KEY CYLINDERS. GOOD LUCK

-2
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 AT 12:47 PM
BLAINENGLAND
  • 2006 CADILLAC CTS

2006 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

The Ignition will not turn completely to off, almost as though the gar is not in park. Although the transmission is in park, either the shifter or ignition does not recognize it.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 12:05 AM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK

For starters, reference this bulletin. See if it helps.
#07-07-30-032C: Shifter Binds, Ignition Key Sticks, Shift to Park Message Displayed On Driver Information Center (DIC), Dead Battery (Adjust Shift Linkage) - (Jan 8, 2010)

Subject: Shifter Binds, Ignition Key Sticks,"Shift to Park" Message Displayed On Driver Information Center (DIC), Dead Battery (Adjust Shift Linkage)

Models: 2007-2009 Cadillac STS-V, SRX

2007-2010 Cadillac STS

2006-2010 Cadillac CTS Sedan

2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V

2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

Equipped with Automatic Transmission

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-07-30-032B (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

" The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or park.

" The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder.

" The "Shift to Park" message is constantly displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC) when the shifter is in the "Park" position.

" A dead battery that follows after parking the vehicle for an extended period of time (less than 24 hours). This vehicle may have been left in accessory mode with the "Shift to Park" message displayed.

" The shifter binds when moving the lever from Drive to Manual mode.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the shift linkage adjustment, a slow Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) mechanism or a Park Confirmation micro-switch that is not closed.

Correction
Adjust the automatic shift linkage following the steps below.

Verify the customer's concern.
Position the shift lever into the PARK position.
Check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If any codes are set, diagnose the DTCs first using SI.
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
Adjust the automatic shift control linkage. Refer to Shift Control Linkage Adjustment in SI.
Lower the vehicle.
Tip
If the "Shift to Park" message is displayed, try wiggling or "bumping" the shifter while in the PARK position. If the message goes out, then repeat the adjustment. This is typically an indicator that the shift linkage is biased rearward. If the initial condition was Drive to Tap Mode binding, then the shifter linkage was initially biased forward.

Determine if the condition has been corrected. If the condition still exists, the automatic transmission shift control may need to be replaced. Refer to Automatic Transmission Control Replacement in SI.

Shift Control Linkage Adjustment
Position the shift lever in PARK.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/309872_785879_1.jpg

Loosen the shift control linkage adjustment nut to allow the adjuster to slide freely.
Hold the selector lever on transmission against the rear stop to eliminate any play.
Tighten
Tighten the shift control linkage adjustment nut to 9 N m (80 lb in).

Lower the vehicle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/309872_796468_1.jpg

Inspect the operation of the starting system with the shift lever in each position. The engine should only crank when the lever is in the PARK or NEUTRAL position.
If the key is stuck or hard to remove from the lock cylinder or there is a high button effort, the linkage may not be adjusted properly. Re-adjust as necessary.

JOJORINGO

The dealer says that the adjustment above didnt fix the issue and it needs a new mircoswtich which is part of this assembly, however one much buy the entire assembly and not just the switch?
If you have the switch only part number, as well as the full assembly part so I can find prices elsewhere I appreciate it.
Also, you refer to other chart or links above in the OP and I'd love to have those as well.

Last, they said the seizing calipers require entire brake system replacement. Any chance the issue above is telling the brakes to activate?

In Boca raton area and could use a mechanic recommendation!

-1
CADDYMAN122
  • 2005 CADILLAC CTS

2005 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

i own a 2005 cadallic cts and im having these problems. The car will start but the engine temperature gauge and gas gauge do not work. Also when you try to turn the key off it will not release it. The theft deterrent light will not turn off and the traction control light will NOT turn off. If u do not know please say you don't know.

Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 12:06 AM (Merged)
DJA79

Remove the ecm Fuse. Its located in the fuse box under the hood. Should reset your system and be back to normal.

-1
DJA79

More possibles. Bad battery, or low charge; will cause this problem, check first. Or bad ECM; pray its not that.

DEBBPIMP

Finally what is the problem? I have the same problem with my cadillac.

+2
JOSHUA.BARFIELD21
  • 2006 CADILLAC CTS

I started the car drove it and parked if at home now the gas and temp gauges arent working and the key wont turn all the way back to let go of the key and it keeps draining the battery and the service anti theft keeps popping up on my radio display but the car will start again and drive but wont let me take the key out can you help?

Check fuses, check body grounds for damage. Also, is the park lock solenoid working properly? In other words, does the vehicle only come out of park if the brake is depressed?

REVELATION
  • 2010 CADILLAC CTS

Interior problem
2010 Cadillac CTS 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 9770 miles

I am trying to get key out of ignition in park, and key is locked into ignition and will not come out. What do I do?

-2
RUBYSARAGOSA
  • 2005 CADILLAC CTS

Computer/theft system problem
2005 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

my key will not release. Oil and fuel gages will not work. The theft llight and traction control light will not turn off. When the gages dont work the shifter light will not turn on and I do not know what the gear is on. I am a mom carring a baby around. My only ride please help.

-1
FACTORYJACK

Without saying you would need to have it checked for fault codes, try disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together for a minute or so. If you can't get them together, use a jumper wire. See if all the symptoms correct. If it resumes the same action, it will need some diagnosis, starting with a diagnostic systems check for fault codes.

-1

Related Ignition Switch Key New Content

Recommended guides