CTS WONT SHIFT FROM PARK AND THE KEY WON'T COME OUT OF THE IGNITION

• Ecr504
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

Today my cts shut off after I started it then wouldn't start and the anti-theft light is on. Ten minutes later it starts but won't shift out of park and the key won't come out and the anti-theft light remains on the entire time. It has a brand new battery. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:13 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

See if the gear shifter is all the way in park, if so check to see if the battery is dead, the vehicle will not come out of park and can cause a problem getting the key out. The shift lock solenoid needs power to release from park. See if the brake lights are working. The brake light switch controls the park lock.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:16 AM
  • Ecr504

WE have a repair shop we use for our vehicles. Would they have the equipment needed or do dealers only have the test equipment?

-2
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:18 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Most smaller shops don't. However, yours could. Do me a favor. This is going to sound stupid, but check to see if your brake lights are working and let me know what you find.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:23 AM
  • Ecr504

The brake lights do work. When the car originally wouldnt start we found that the negative battery cable had stripped out and was loose. Would that have caused this snowball effect of different issues.

+1
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:31 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

That is a good question. I asked about the brake lights because power goes through the brake light switch and to the park interlock system. If the brake light switch fails, no power goes to the solenoid. Thus, you can't take it out of park. I was hoping for something easy.

Regardless, at this point I feel confident that is deals with the security system. Something triggered it into lock down. It is odd that the neg battery terminal did that to you. Either someone over tightened it or it was left loose. However, that could have been the start of the entire problem.

I have three things for you to try before the shop. First, disconnect the battery (neg terminal) for a couple minutes and then reconnect it to see if the system will reset itself. If that doesn't work, remove the neg terminal again then the pos. Hold them together (away from the battery) for about 30 seconds and then replace and see if that resets it. Finally, turn the key to the run position and let it sit (not running). The security light should go out after about 10 minutes (over riding the security system) and then start it and check if that helps so you can at least drive it to the shop.

Let me know how things go for you.

-1
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 1:48 AM
  • Roafamily

I have the same issue with mines. I will go ahead and do what you recommend jacobandnickolas

Monday, September 19th, 2011 AT 1:25 PM
  • Ecr504

Car has been at our shop two weeks now. I think we were better off taking it to Cadillac. Our shop is currently trying to reset the security system.

-1
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:07 PM
  • Cadieman

THE ALARM CAN BE RESET BY LOCKING AND UNLOCKING THE L/F OR R/F DOORS USING THE KEY IN THE DOOR KEY CYLINDERS. GOOD LUCK

+1
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 AT 12:47 PM