HOW DOES THE FRONT POWER OUTLET SHUT-OFF FUNCTION?

2003 Buick Rendezvous

Downeasta

May, 28, 2012 AT 4:16 PM

I have just purchased a 2003 Buick Rendezvous. I use the front cabin power outlet (cig lighter socket) to power my Tom-Tom GPS. It has a convenient shut-down function that allows it to turn itself off a few seconds after external power is removed. This worked very well in my previous car. The Rendezvous manual(3-24)states that power to the accessory outlet(s) will shut off about 10 minutes after the car ignition switch is turned off, but mine stays on. I'm sure the GPS would run for days on the car's battery but I'd like to have it shut down when the car is off, like the radio does. Can you offer any suggestions? Thank you.

hmac300

May, 28, 2012 AT 4:56 PM

There is a relay in the center console that may be hanging up. It's called the rap relay that keep s the power for 10 minutes. Have this checked for any codes first as it could be a body module problem as well.

Downeasta

May, 31, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. I exchanged the relay (R33) with the accessory relay (R27) but had no change in symptoms. I have found that the rear console outlet also stays on. I'll have the codes checked as soon as I can get to an Autozone. In the meantime, are you aware of an electrical schematic available on-line?

hmac300

May, 31, 2012 AT 1:08 PM

I have on e available to me but it is to large to send, check and seeif they have anything in a buick forum. The scanner that autozone has will not pick up ocodes for the poer you need a pro type to do that.

Downeasta

May, 31, 2012 AT 5:24 PM

This may have bearing on the problem at hand. I have noticed that the load leveler pump seems to run continuously when the key is left in the accessory position. I have not dared just leave it on to see if it eventually will stop by itself. Of course, I'll have it coded but wonder if you have any comments to add?

hmac300

May, 31, 2012 AT 7:40 PM

It should run only for 255 seconds or approximately 4 and half minutes. If it runs longer than that there is something wrong. It could have a leak in a line or shock if it doesn't go up correctly.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011