IT SEEMS LIKE I AM NOT GETTING GAS WHEN I AM LOW ON FUEL

2002 Volkswagen Jetta

kellymbillings

May, 7, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

My 2002 vw jetta has been acting like power to the engine or gas dies, then it goes again, well recently its been doing it more and not only when im low on gas, the other day my batter light came on and it started totally dieing out when it happened, now it wont start! If I jump it it starts but once I go it dies again.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

promechanic

May, 7, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

I think you probably are having alternator issues. You can have it tested at most any auto parts store.

kellymbillings

May, 7, 2012 AT 11:50 PM

Before the last couple days when it was just dieing out so, someone thought my fuel pump or fuel filer was bad, is that another issue or could my altenator be causing both? Until today when it ran weird it wouldnt actually die but it would start slowing down and then once I downshifted and pushed the gas againit would act like it was getting power again!

promechanic

May, 8, 2012 AT 1:12 AM

It is probably all the same issue. If your alternator isn't putting out enough current it can cause all of those issues.