Would a broken upper Motor mount cause a rattling sound

ALPWRITER
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
Upper motor mount broken, started the sound today, never heard it before, cause it to shift erratically.
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 5:55 AM

SATURNTECH9
A broken engine can cause vibration rattles noises etc. But eratic shifting no. What kind of shifting are you having?
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 6:21 AM
ALPWRITER
I installed the upper dogbone mount, put it in gear and you don't hear it any more, BUT you can hear a very slow clanking sound at idle from transmission, In gear at higher speed you can still hear that very slow clank sound. What are your thoughts?
Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 4:33 AM
MHPAUTOS
Is it constant and dose it vary with either engine or road speed?
Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 7:56 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also have you inspected the other engine and transmission mounts for damage colasping?
Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 4:26 PM
ALPWRITER
I took the valve cover off to see if I could see anything on top or down the timing chain, nothing so far, I also took the serpentine belt off, and could still hear it. There is no miss in the engine, car runs great except for the sound. Almost sounds like timing chain is hitting against a tin part of cover or something to that effect. Anything else before it has to be torn down again?
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:26 AM
ALPWRITER
Oh yeah, I inspected the other mounts and balancer, It looks like it is wobbling a bit. It doesn't seem to get louder or anything with acceleration it does go faster and slower with speed. It seems to get quieter with air conditioning. That may be just because of the load put on the engine. No trouble codes when I scanned the computer. I am hoping not to tear it down, but it looks like I may have to.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:34 AM
SATURNTECH9
I thought you said you hear the noise coming from the transmission?If thats the case why take off the valve cover etc?
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:44 AM
ALPWRITER
The way that sound travels with metal, I did think it was coming from trans, now that I have got more into it, I don't think so. Have any suggestions. By the way the way it was hard shifting gears, has stopped since I cleaned the mass air flow system and installed a new air filter. The filter was really bad.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:29 AM
SATURNTECH9
Did you look for slack in the timing chain also turning the engine over and looking for slack worn guides etc?
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:16 PM
ALPWRITER
I will check that, thanks for the help, I did check the tension on the chain, but I never tried to turn it by hand.I just had it towed today. It stopped on my daughter, I guess I will see what the problem is now!
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 5:06 AM
SATURNTECH9
Alright keep me posted.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 4:10 PM