STEERING COLUMN

2002 Saturn L200

MACAHGUY

2002 Saturn L200. The steering column slides back and forth parallel to the dash, overall travel is about 2 inches. How do I fix this? Thank you

saturntech9

Are you sure you don't mean in and out like it's telescoping?Like it's getting longer and shorter?

MACAHGUY

Thank you for the quick reply. No, it is not telescoping nor is it the tilt. With the tilt **** locked down, the steering wheel and housing move left and right. It appears to be in the dash area because the u-joint at the firewall is not moving when I move the wheel back and forth.

saturntech9

Have you checked to see if the bolt's holding it to the dash are tight?Or if the movement is there?You have a bad column or the bolt's just aren't holding it in place like they should. Let me know what you find.

MACAHGUY

I haven't checked those bolts yet but that's where I assumed I'd start. Can you suggest a diagram to access these bolts?

saturntech9

Remove the hvac duct and the knee bolster like it show's in the diagram's I posted to gain access to the bolt's.I also posted a diagram to show where the bolt's are.

MACAHGUY

Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it comes out, should get at it this coming weekend. I appreciate it!

saturntech9

Your welcome that's what were here for let me know what you find.

MACAHGUY

February, 9, 2011 AT 3:23 PM

Thank you again for your help on this. Another bit that helped was removing the upper shroud of the steering column. It allowed a visual of the bolts in question. All tightened up and back on the road.

saturntech9

February, 9, 2011 AT 3:57 PM

Your welcome glad to hear it was only some loose bolt's and you got it fixed.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement