What would cause the fan blower and rear defroster not to work on a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix?

MSMAC67
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Everything worked last Friday on a short trip up to the mountains. Since then, nothing on the control panel for the heating/AC works. Not the fan in any setting, not the rear defroster button, not the AC button. The mode selection **** does seem to engage the proper mode setting when switching from heat to defrost, etc but nothing else does anything. It's below freezing in Denver & I can't defrost my car enough to see to drive! Help!
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 2:00 PM

KHLOW2008
A power supply interruption and it could be a bad ignition switch or blown fuse.

Does blower work in maximum speed mode?
Which engine do you have?
+1
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 2:15 PM
MSMAC67
The blower doesn't work on any speed. The rear defroster button doesn't work and neither does the AC button. It has a 3.1L engine I believe.
+1
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 2:23 PM
KHLOW2008
Have you checked the fuses?

In instrument panel fuse box, check HVAC control and HVAC Hi fuse.

If you have a test lamp or DVOM, testing for presensce of battery voltage at the relays and blower motor would help.
-1
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 2:57 PM
MSMAC67
I will check the fuses. I do not have a test lamp or DVOM (whatever that is!) I'm just a dumb single girl trying to figure this out without costing myself a lot of money. I wouldn't even know how to go about testing the battery voltage at those points! I don't know anyone to ask to do it for me either. So I'm hoping and praying it's the fuses. That I can do myself.
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 3:10 PM
KHLOW2008
If you have any question, just post reply here and I will see what I can do to help.

Since all speeds are not working, it most likely is the fuses.
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 3:19 PM
MSMAC67
I checked the fuses and they all look fine to me. When I went back out to take my daughter to school, I turned the car on and the blower had been left on in the highest setting. It came on when I started the car! As soon as I turned any of the ****s, it quit again and is not working again on any setting. Thoughts, ideas? Thanks.
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 10:43 PM
KHLOW2008
Try banging the blower motor housing and see if starts, that would mean the motor is due for replacement.
Friday, November 4th, 2011 AT 2:14 PM
MSMAC67
This morning I put the blower **** was on the highest setting when I started the car but nothing happened. So we drove off to my kids' school and after driving for about 8 minutes, it kicked on all of a sudden. I could switch it from the front window defroster to the floor vents with no problem. It was putting out heat like it should. But if I tried to adjust the blower down any levels, it quit. I thought of an electrical short somewhere. Is that a possibility? I don't know where the blower motor housing is to be able to bang on it!
+1
Friday, November 4th, 2011 AT 5:10 PM
KHLOW2008
It is under dash on passenger side.
Friday, November 4th, 2011 AT 6:53 PM
WASEEMH

I have the same issue as the person above. But I wonder why it would be the fan blower if the defroster or everything else in that control panel not working.

Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 5:27 PM