Aztek fuel gauge not working

BRIJMIN
  • 2002 PONTIAC AZTEK
The Aztek has been running like a champ. No problems what so ever. During the last cold snap in Michigan the fuel gauge started working a little funny. Like reading too much gas (more than expected) or too little gas (less then expected) but it would eventually read right once the car got warm. That lasted 2 or 3 days. Now the gauge goes from full to empty in a flash.

Now I use the mileage trip to tell how much gas I have. No problem in the short term.

Now the question.

Is this because of the fuel level sensor? Do they tend to fail quickly like that?

I understand this is a common problem, but I thought they lingered for a while before totally failing. I understand the brushes that make the contact to the float tend to ware out and cause the gauge to mis-read, like not all the way full or not empty.

The way this one failed leads me to the question. Is this normal?
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 3:43 PM

ALKIMBALL
I am having the same problem with my fuel gauge. It goes from full to empty in 5seconds. Its so annoying and I would love to find a solution for my problem.
+1
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 8:51 PM
BRIJMIN
I have been told this is a common problem. The auto supply store will sell you the entire pump and float assembly for about 300 bucks. I have been told to go to the local GM dealer and ask for just the float assembly. It will be much cheaper.
+1
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 10:34 PM