Heater valve replacement. Please help!

UNIQUE760
  • 2002 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
**check out oour attached photos!***My husband replaced the heater valve after the nipple broke off the front of our old one. He installed the new one but can't figure out how to reconnect the hoses properly. We have three hoses that need to be connected but we can't figure out what goes where. We need to get out car running so we can get our kids to school and to work. My husband tried fixing it himself because we are really struggling financially and couldn't afford to have it done. Can someone please help asap? Thank you so much!
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM

FIXITMR
Does the new 1 exactly/duplicate match the old broken 1? Maybe shoulda took a pic BEFORE removing (hindsight 101).
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 3:16 AM
FIXITMR
My source only shows 2 hoses and the vacuum line. Where did that 3rd hose come from?
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 3:27 AM
UNIQUE760
Fixitmr,

I agree! I wish we would have taken before pictures but the car broke down at night and we were stuck and he was trying to fix it in the rain to avoid a tow charge. We have the original heater valve which does only have the two connector ends (nipples) but we are unsure as two which of the three hoses gets plugged in to those ports. How we ended up with three loose hoses I am unsure of and I am completely boggled by how that may have occurred. We were able to get the car home by means of a friend, and my husband has hee trying to figure out how to connect the hoses properly. I appreciate your help! It really means alot because we have been struggling and hoped that this would be a minor thing we could fix ourselves because we have no means to get the car fixed any other way. Thank u so much!
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 3:51 AM
UNIQUE760
P.S sorry I for got to mention that the original part is identical to the new part we bought. We still have the old one if it would help to send a photo of it. I can provide more photos as well if that will make it easier to anyone who would like to offer assistance. Thanks again.
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 3:55 AM
FIXITMR
Yah, more photos might help. I see other metal pipes in these photos that have no hoses connecting to them on topside of engine. But the hose that comes from heater core would likely connect to rearward end of valve. The shape and angle and length look right to go there and it makes sense also.

Another clue could had if the hose the broken piece came out of was known?
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 7:23 AM
UNIQUE760
I will post a more thorough reply in about half an hour it is currently 9:45am PST) with more detailed photos. We did have the hose that comes from the heater core connected to the back end of valve because thats what seemed to make sense to us as well. As far as the hose that had the broke nipple in it, my husband said that "when the nipple broke off you couldnt tell which hose it was connected to because the nipple was missing with no hoses connected to it". Thanks again for all your help! I really wished I would be able to pay for all your helpful advice, unfortunately we have been down on our luck lately and my husband lost his job. I appreciate you help!
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM
FIXITMR
Another thing crossed my mind is that the hose laying under the valve does not belong there, it just dropped down when valve was removed maybe?
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:29 PM
UNIQUE760
Ok so it took me a bit longer to get home to take the pictures then I had anticipated. Here are the detailed photos to see if this will help diagnose our problem.
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 8:50 PM
UNIQUE760
I was able to obtain a diagram for the installation of the heater valve. This confirms the placement of the rear hose connecting to the reward facing nipple of the heater valve :) The thing that I noticed was that our set up is not the same as the schematic shown in the diagram. I think there has be previous work done to this vehicle in this area that I am not privvy to (I know there was work done to other engine components as I can see the replacement parts). I think that maybe the longer hose on the top of the engine is a replacement for the two smaller ones with the connector. I think this may be likely because the diagram appears to show it connecting to the same general area of where the hose originates from now. Can you tell from the diagram if this is true? I am clueless about the lower hose as I have no idea where it belongs or where it originates. The diagram shows a hose that may or may not be the hose I am referring to. If it is the same hose as our disconnected lower hose this diagram does not show where the hose connects to.
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 9:45 PM
FIXITMR
Ok. I got the idea now. It was my first hunch anyway. The long hose is the connection to front of valve. That third large hose may go next to PCV valve onto a black pipe I saw/see in he old/new pics. Or it's a leftover from some part removal. Maybe you can trace that 3rd hose under car to see if it goes to exhaust? Maybe it came from removed air pump? Of course you ay want to hook up the 2 and add valve hoses and add coolant if that 3rd is a coolant hose it will start leaking.
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 3:40 AM