How would I Troubleshoot a 2002 Kia Spectra Blend Door Actuator

SNETHEJ
  • 2002 KIA SPECTRA

I have a 2002 Kia Spectra and the blend door actuator does not seem to move when I adjust temperature. It appears that it may have been that way for awhile (just bought the car) because the metal linkage between the actuator and the blend door piece seems to have been disconnected at sometime. It looks like the big white plastic piece on the blend door would have had to have been removed and then replaced to get the linkage disconnected.

What would be the best approach in diagnosing what may be the issue as to why the actuator does not move?

The electrical connection on the actuator seems to be a blue plug with maybe six contacts in it (I didn't remove that yet, since I wouldn't know what to look for with it).

I also do not have issues with hot/cold air if I move the blend door manually.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 1:50 PM

WRENCHTECH

Does the actuator even shows any hints of trying to move when adjusted? Try this with the actuator removed and plugged in.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 3:38 PM
KHLOW2008

The rod from the actuator near the throttle pedal is easily and often disconnected from being bumped by the drivers foot.

Reinstalling it usually works.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 6:56 PM
WRENCHTECH

KHlow2008 is correct. There is actually a TSB and an updated part for that.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/113348132.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/113369450.jpg

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:05 PM
KHLOW2008

Nice work Wrenchtech.

This shows why we are one of the best car repair sites around, our commitment to our work and would always try our best to provide the best answer.

Have a great day.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:11 PM
SNETHEJ

Here's a pic of the passenger side where the actuator (at least what I think it is, with the bigger red circle) and the the blend door (controlled by the big white plastic piece) are located. The smaller red circle is where it looks like the linkage should connect the two is.

The arm did not move at all when I adjusted the temperature, and I tried to gently move it manually without success. I have not removed it, yet.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:32 PM
WRENCHTECH

Yep, those rods appear disconnected.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:44 PM
SNETHEJ

Here's a better pic with description of my question (I hope).

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:46 PM
WRENCHTECH

It appears that other rod goes to a piece of linkage above the white disc.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 7:54 PM
SNETHEJ

But should the actuator move when the temperature control is changed from hot to cold (the note in the picture, "This does not move")? In the picture, the thermostat is set to cold, and the blend door piece is rotated to get cold, but the actuator is showing and stuck where it would be if the thermostat is set to hot.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 8:12 PM
SNETHEJ

Back to the original question, ". Diagnosing what may be the issue as to why the actuator does not move, " Wrenchtech originally posted:

"Does the actuator even shows any hints of trying to move when adjusted? Try this with the actuator removed and plugged in."

My answer is that is does not move currently, but I'm not sure what you are getting at when you want me to do. With the established lack of linkage, would that be considered removed and plugged in, indicating that the actuator is not moving at all? Or do I need to actually unscrew it and remove the unit for what you were asking?

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 10:57 AM