CAR WILL CRANK BUT WILL NOT START

2002 Kia Optima

cpierce75

December, 22, 2011 AT 12:41 AM

The car was running fine until about 3 weeks ago and then it started having issues upshifting. It would rev up hesitate and then kick real hard right before it shifted into another gear. As soon as it started the the check engine light came on. It would not do this all the time and sometimes after the car sat overnight the check engine light would go off and it would shift fine for a couple days. On Friday I was getting onto the interstate and the car did not want to shift up so I let off the pedal and then pushed it again. The tac bumped a couple of times and then the guages went to zero and the car died. Now it will not restart. It will crank so I shot some eather down the air filter housing and it still will not start so that leads me to believe that it is not the fuel pump. I did find a vaccum hose that went to the air filter that was cracked so I replaced it but it still will not start. So then I started checking fuses and they all seem to be fine. Not sure what to try next.

December, 22, 2011 AT 1:03 AM

What you need to do here is have the computer scanned for OBD2 codes, there's a problem within the engine management system that caused the light to turn On, this is your starting point of diagnosis

cpierce75

December, 22, 2011 AT 1:07 AM

I took it by an oreilly's and had them put the OBD scan tool on it and it came back saying that it could not link to the car.

December, 22, 2011 AT 1:19 AM

Check for spark

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe