SOMETIMES IT WILL IDLE BUT IDLES VERY ROUGH

2002 Jeep Liberty

JimsAuto

May, 9, 2012 AT 10:04 PM

Working on a 2002 Jeep Liberty. Doesn't have any codes coming up. I have already replaced the CPS, CKS, 2 coils, all 6 plugs and cleaned the TB and IAC. Issue has improved but not by much. It is smoking and smells of gas when running.

hmac300

May, 9, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

First scan for codes and check fuel pressure including fuel pressure after shut down. Then check for a vacuum leak or hoses disconnected or holes in them

JimsAuto

May, 10, 2012 AT 12:30 AM

I have already scanned and don't have any codes, also checked fuel pressure and vacuum hoses. One weird thing was while trying to figure this out had fuel injector on #2 disconnected from harness and coil and plug out on #1 and the engine smoothed out a lot.

May, 10, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

You cancelled the companion cylinder by doing that and it will run smoother.

Did you do a compression test?

JimsAuto

May, 10, 2012 AT 2:01 AM

Haven't yet, does this one recommend operating temp for compression check or not(I don't have a book that covers the 3.7 V6)

JimsAuto

May, 10, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

Also just talked to the customer and was told a compression check was done about 4 or 5 months ago and was fine then.

hmac300

May, 10, 2012 AT 1:37 PM

Because of the miles also check cam or followeres for wear, maybe a lobe is rounded off and you get compression but valves aren't workin g right. That wold not show up on a compression check or fuel pressure regulator may be screwed up as well

JimsAuto

May, 10, 2012 AT 7:24 PM

Did compression check today and #1 cyl was 0, all others were between 155 and 175 psi after 6 strokes(first stroke was above 130 on all but #1). Looks like either a valve is stuck open or a valve spring broke. Customer deciding what he wants to do now

hmac300

May, 10, 2012 AT 7:26 PM

It may be more thatn that. That may not be a free spin motor so look for engine damage inside cylinder. Or pump oil in cylinder and seeif compression comes up at all.

JimsAuto

May, 10, 2012 AT 9:39 PM

I used a small LED snake light to look in through the plug opening and all I could see was the piston, of course don't get to see much that way. Plus with the research I have been doing this model Jeep with the 3.7 has a sludge problem and valves like to stick open. Also some cases of broken valve springs.

hmac300

May, 10, 2012 AT 11:04 PM

You'll see when or if you get teh valve cover off

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element