WHAT SPECIFIC PARTS SHOULD I UPGRADE FOR A 4L60E REBUILD USED FOR LIGHT TOWING?

2002 GMC Yukon

tomcat750

February, 12, 2012 AT 12:54 PM

My 02 Yukon transmission won't work in 3/4 gear due to slippage. The transmission is currently being rebuilt. Because I use it to tow lightweight trailers occasionally, what specific parts should be upgraded during the rebuild process? The transmission is a 4L60E with 80k miles.

Wrenchtech

February, 12, 2012 AT 1:14 PM

Upgrade? I don't know what you mean by "upgrade". If you have damaged "hard parts", then they have to be replaced. The replacements with be the same parts that it came with.

tomcat750

February, 12, 2012 AT 2:03 PM

Moving past the premise that my 4L60E transmission is currently in the repair shop due to a worn out 3/4th clutch. In order to slightly 'beef up' my tranny rebuild for weekend trailering a 2000lb boat in moderate terrain, what specific parts might I ask to be installed (vs factory OEM)? Ie: 4 vs 5(? Or more?)3/4th gear clutch pack assembly, corvette servo, beefier sun shell, 5 pinion planetary, bigger boost valve, single vs dbl gauge sprag, 7 vs 10 pump rotor vein, and I have read several forums talking about having the valve body drilled out in a certain passage? These are the possible upgrades I was hoping to get expert advice on. I would appreciate any suggestions that would help me decide during my rebuild process. Thanks! Tom

rivermikerat

February, 13, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

All I really suggest is beefing up the cooling system. Add an external trans oil cooler. And go with a higher ratio of coolant to water than 50/50, like 75/25. You live in Arizona, heat is your biggest enemy there.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Fuel Pump Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro