SEAT BELT WARNING LIGHT & CHIME & INTERMITTENT WIPER ISSUES

2002 Ford Ranger

vagrants

April, 27, 2011 AT 1:46 AM

I am not sure which subcategory my question needs to be in since I don't know what's causing my problem. It could be either GEM or warning light or wiring. It may be something to do with SRS.

The seat belt warning light does not come on at all and no seat belt chime. I checked the light bulb, and it's not burnt. I tried the BeltReminder activation/deactivation procedure. The manual says, "After step 5 the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds." I didn't get that. I disconnected the wire connector under the driver's seat. Air bag light gave me code 46. How is this warning light wired? Is there any way of invoking this warning light so that I can be sure it's not a wiring issue? Intermittent windshield wiper feature isn't working well. It stops and go, stops and go. But, hi and low are working well. I understand intermittent feature is controlled by the GEM.

merlin2021

April, 27, 2011 AT 8:40 AM

The seat belt I will look up the wiring and post it if you post your email you will get a better quality copy sent to you. The wiper issue csn also be the multifunction switch. When I get to my book I will post testing proceedures.

vagrants

April, 27, 2011 AT 12:38 PM

Thank you. I hope I will not have to replace GEM.

merlin2021

April, 27, 2011 AT 6:28 PM

Is your airbag light lit? There is a bulletin for corrosion of the connectors for seat belt prtensioner under the driver and passenger seats. Let me know if air bag light stays on.

merlin2021

April, 27, 2011 AT 6:42 PM

RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE (RCM)
RCM contains microcomputer, which monitors electrical system components and
connections. RCM performs a system self-check of air bag system internal circuits
every time ignition switch is turned to RUN position. RCM also energizes AIR BAG
warning light during initial system self-check and whenever a fault is detected. Faults
are stored in RCM memory and translated into flash codes, which are displayed
through AIR BAG warning light. RCM also communicates through Data Link
Connector (DLC) current and historical Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
If a system fault exists and AIR BAG warning light is malfunctioning, RCM signals
Generic Electronic Module (GEM) to activate a chime, indicating need for service.
TEST Y: NO COMMUNICATION WITH RCM
Description
Restraints Control Module (RCM) communicates with scan tool using International
Standard Organization (ISO) 9141 communication mode through Data Link Connector
(DLC).
Possible Causes
A no communication condition could be caused by damaged wiring, terminals or
connectors, damaged DLC, damaged scan tool or RCM internal fault.
1. Check RCM connector & pin No. 5 for damage
Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Disable air bag system. See DISABLING
SYSTEM under DISABLING & ACTIVATING AIR BAG SYSTEM. Access
RCM and disconnect harness connector. See RESTRAINTS CONTROL
MODULE (RCM) under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Inspect RCM
connector, terminal No. 5 (Light Blue/White wire), component side and harness
side, for damage. See Fig. 12 & Fig. 14. If module pin and module harness
connector terminal No. 5 are okay, go to next step. If module pin and module
harness connector terminal No. 5 are damaged, repair/replace as necessary.
Reconnect air bag system. Retest communication with RCM. Activate air bag
system. See ACTIVATING SYSTEM under DISABLING & ACTIVATING
AIR BAG SYSTEM. Perform system operation check. See SYSTEM
OPERATION CHECK. Clear all DTCs. See CLEARING FAULT CODES
under DIAGNOSTICS.
2. Check DLC for damage
Inspect Data Link Connector (DLC) and DLC connector terminal No. 7 (Light
Blue/White wire) for damage. See Fig. 16. DLC is located under left side of
instrument panel. If DLC connector and DLC connector terminal No. 7 (Light
Blue/White wire) is okay, go to next step. If DLC connector and DLC connector
terminal No. 7 (Light Blue/White wire) is damaged, repair/replace as necessary.
Retest communication with RCM. Reconnect air bag system. Activate air bag
system. Perform system operation check. Clear all DTCs.
3. Check circuit for short to battery
Measure voltage between ground and DLC connector terminal No. 7 (Light
Blue/White wire). If any voltage is present, repair short to battery voltage in
Light Blue/White wire. Retest communication with RCM. Reconnect air bag
system. Activate air bag system. Perform system operation check. Clear all
DTCs. If no voltage is present, go to next step.
4. Check circuit for open
Measure resistance of Light Blue/White wire between RCM connector terminal
No. 5 and DLC connector terminal No. 7. See Fig. 12 & Fig. 16. If resistance is
less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in
DTCs.
5. Check circuit for short to ground
Measure resistance between ground and DLC connector terminal No. 7 (Light
Blue/White wire). If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in
DTCs. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, replace RCM. Retest communication
with RCM. Reconnect air bag system. Activate air bag system. Perform system
operation check. Clear all DTCs.

vagrants

April, 27, 2011 AT 9:39 PM

No, the airbag light is not lit other than when I start the engine, it comes on for a self test for 5 seconds or something like that; then, it goes away. I unplugged the connector under the driver's seat to see what would happen. From the unplugging, I guess the sensor is working. Would these wires (I saw 2 wires) go directly to the GEM and the GEM reports to the cluster and to the SRS or there is a split so that the GEM and the SRS get signals independently?

By the way, check engine and ABS lights are on. If the check engine light is important, I can go to a nearest Autozone/AdvanceAutoParts/PepBoys/etc. To have it scanned.

I went to a junk yard today hoping I could find a GEM. No such luck. The GEM in this Ranger has a label of 1L5T-14B205-AF.

merlin2021

April, 28, 2011 AT 7:37 AM

Your Restraint control module controls the light and chime, not the GEM, Check pin 5 on the RCM, It's located on the tranny tunnel under the dash. Pins are shown in the pictures.

merlin2021

April, 28, 2011 AT 7:38 AM

And yes get the codes read, both PCM and ABS

vagrants

April, 28, 2011 AT 1:13 PM

PCM and ABS scanned, that's I was trying to avoid. For ABS scan, $95 at a dealer. I don't need ABS at the moment, so I'm not concerned. Perhaps, I'll find bad hydraulics when I get it scanned. PCM scan, I don't know how much, I haven't called dealers. I heard anywhere between $200 - 80. Making pretty good money for a 5 min, no human involved troubleshooting.

"Your Restraint control module controls the light and chime, not the GEM." I understand the GEM controls all the warning chimes. So the RCM must be reporting to the GEM, do I have it correct? Upon countless hours of googling, I found, "the manual shows a light green and a black wire for the seat belt buckle switch which is for the "fasten belts" light on the dash.
The seat belt pretensioner wires should be light green/black and light green/ red." This was for 2004, so I'm not sure applicable to 2001, but it sounds like they are separate entities.

I'll go check pin 5 in a bit.

vagrants

April, 28, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

I removed the cup holder and looked at the RCN connectors and pin 5. It looked very clean. I sprayed with compressed air anyway. No change.

I re-checked the wires under the driver's seat. There are 4 wires bundled into a connector. The wires are: GRN/RED, BRN/LT BLU, LT GRN and BLK. I'm guessing BRN/LT BLU in 2002 is LT GRN/BLK in 2004. Since I don't want to trip the air bag, I'm not going to anything to the wires. I was able to locate 2001 Ranger EV (had it for a while now.I know at least the parking brake light is wired about the same), and the wiring diagram shows BRN/LT BLU wire is going into the GEM and converted to YEL; then go to the cluster.

vagrants

April, 28, 2011 AT 10:20 PM

Oh, yeah, the CEL is now gone since I had to disconnect the (-) terminal. Perhaps, it'll come back in a while.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet