2002 Ford F-150 4.2 Liter V6 Temperature Gauge not working and starting rough

JBRYAN328
  • 2002 FORD F-150
When my temperature gauge quit working my truck started idling high and starting rough. Then it got to the point of just cranking over and not starting at all unless I hold the gas peddle to the floor and then it will start but real rough with a lot of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. After I get it started and running a little smoother it idles high all of the time. When I get up to speed in town (35 to 45 mph) I can basically take my foot off of the gas peddle and it will run like I have cruise control on (which I do not have) until I apply the brake. I'm on a very fixed income and I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. PLEASE HELP! Thank you in advance and be blessed : )
Wednesday, June 24th, 2015 AT 7:26 PM

SATURNTECH9
From the symptoms it sounds like your coolant temp sensor went bad have you had it scanned for codes in the computer yet?
-1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2015 AT 10:27 PM
JBRYAN328
The check engine light is not coming on at all so I didn't think that it would send any codes out. So, to answer your question. No, I did not. If I change out the coolant temp sensor. Will that fix the temperature gauge so that it will work again as well as fix the rough start and high idle problem?
-1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2015 AT 11:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
I cant say for sure but with the temp gauge not working and it sounds like its flooding like its getting too much fuel it would make sense. If the wires to the sensor get chewed or damaged or the sensor itself failed. The computer would see the coolant temp lower then it actually is giving the engine too much fuel. Just because the check engine light isnt on doesnt mean that there aren't any codes in the computer.I would check for codes inspect the wiring too it etc. If I had the truck thats what I would do.I would also use a scan tool and see what the coolant temp was reading on the scan tool verus actual temp with a infared temp gun. If your going to work on your vechiles I would invest in a scan tool especially one that read some live engine data they have come down in price a lot.
-1
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 6:07 AM
JBRYAN328
Thank You so much! I will look into this and hopefully resolve my problem. Many Blessings to you and yours : )
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 1:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome glad I could help.
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 6:42 PM