ENGINE STALLS

2002 Dodge Caravan

Mr.Cliffy06

May, 3, 2011 AT 4:32 AM

Whats going on? When I first start the car for that day it will start just fine. However when I put it in reverse it will stall or when I stop after reversing and put it into Drive it will stall. This happens about 75% of the time. Otherwise it backs up and goes just fine.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Mr.Cliffy06

May, 3, 2011 AT 5:23 AM

Also I just did the key turn thing for codes. I got back: P0442 & P0455.

caradiodoc

May, 3, 2011 AT 6:30 AM

Those codes are not related to the stalling problem. Try holding the gas pedal down 1/4" to see if the engine stays running. If it does, it sounds like the battery was recently replaced, disconnected, or run dead. The Engine Computer has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. To meet the conditions for that to occur, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

The codes are for the fuel supply system. A small leak was detected and a "gross" leak too. The most common cause is a loose gas cap. If you have those codes erased and they come back, check the rubber hoses under the vehicle between the gas tank, leak detection pump, and engine to see if any are cracked, disconnected, or the clamps are loose. Small leaks are almost impossible to locate visually. There is a "smoke machine" that you can use to inject white smoke at 2 psi, then you can watch to see where it sneaks out. Without that machine finding small leaks is near impossible.