Cranks won't start

AUDLEY
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
2002 tahoe 5.3, 48 psi fuel pump pressure, spark at plug wire, installed crank positioning sensor won't start, cranks a little faster and sounds as though it wants to start, but won't. Battery is up and there is plenty of fuel. I don't want to start putting any more sensors on at random. Audley
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 3:19 AM

ERNEST CLARK
If the crank sensor was bad and toy replaced it the sensor will need to be programmed to the car a shop can do this for about $130.00.

You're computer needs to see both a crank speed reading and cam position reading for it to tell the coils to fire a spark to the plug.

Since you've checked spark and fuel pressure, use an automotive stethoscope to listen for your injectors firing. You'll hear a distinct clicking sound. If your injectors are firing, the valve timing may be off (bad timing chain). You can verify this by doing a compression test.

If your timing chain has slipped, just replacing the timing chain wouldn't be economically sound, as that would be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. The rest of the motor will be just as worn as the timing chain. However, I do not recommend rebuilding this motor unless you want to keep this truck for 10 more years. There are too many low-mile used engines for dirt cheap.

It isn't your ignition switch. If that were the case, you wouldn't be getting spark at the plugs. Your ignition timing is controlled by the computer. If that's out of wack, your computer would be bad. Sometimes an intermittent fault with your sensors will fail to set a code. Depending on which sensor is faulty, the computer will have to determine it has been faulty for a certain amount of drive cycles or time. If the sensor acts good, the computer will shut off the light by itself.

If a scan doesn't produce anything, you'll need to continue your diagnoses on the systems components the computer can't always read. These would be the mechanical components of the engine.
-1
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 11:59 AM
AUDLEY
Good call on the reprogramming apparently you will have spark with the new crankshaft sensor but it will be at the wrong time so the engine will not start. All fixed thanks for the advice. I love this site.
-2
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 7:11 PM
ERNEST CLARK
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011 AT 2:51 AM
TAHOE037
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I tried multiple times and it did the same thing each time. I am thinking its the starter or spark plugs because it wouldn't ignite but would turn over the first time.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 AT 5:10 PM (Merged)
PROMECHANIC
The first thing to check is your battery cable connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. The next thing to do is have your battery load tested. You can also check it yourself by getting a voltmeter reading when it is just sitting there and another when you are trying to start it.
If you want more help then let me know what voltage the battery has. You can get a cheap voltmeter at walmart or any auto parts store.
TAHOE037
Well I had it to a shop maybe 3 weeks ago, they did a battery inspection and said it was fine. Ill try that tomorrow but if thats not the case whats should be my next course of action?
PROMECHANIC
The next thing I would suspect (After making SURE that the battery is good. Be sure it is "load tested") is the starter. You can try to knock on it with a hammer to see if it breaks free. You can also see if it is getting battery voltage when you try to start it.
LAURA PASILLAS
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Replased ignition now car won't start wonts to but bogs outnan dies had a locksmith repace it for me it wonts to start oh security light is on until I turn it over I replased fule pump but wasn't problem when I turn it over it caches byt don't bogs out befor it does catch an dies
Try resetting security sytem see pic
STRANDED IN TX
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Computer problem
2002 Chevy Tahoe 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

2002 Chev Tahoe 5.3 liter. Had low fuel, I filled it up at the gas pump. Car will not start. It sounds like it wants to, but lacks fuel. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, checked all wiring and connects, fuses and sensors. Help!
+1
RHALL77
What is your fuel pressure. Are you getting good spark. How is your injector pulse.
-1
JM807
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
2002 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

I bought this truck in the summer time and it ran perfect. Here we are in the middle of winter and i'm limited as to how much I get to drive it. The problem is anytime air temp drops around 32 degrees or lower, it wont start. You can hold the key over for about 10 sec. And it will start but, suddenly die and wont stay running. I've had it in the shop when running but of course it triggered no codes. The told me it had a tiny intake leak but not enough to affect it in this way. Do you have any idea of sensors, or anything that can be causing this problem? I really like the truck and cant wait to get back behind the wheel, but need pointed in the right direction.
Hi:
Have you checked for trouble codes? Also, the intake can have this type of effect.
JM807
When it was in the shop they ran a diagnostic on it but it wasnt that cold then, so the truck started and ran fine, not triggering any codes. Its frustrating because its like the vehicle knows exactly what temps. It doesnt want to start at. At 33, 34, or warmer it starts. At 31 or 32 has trouble but after a few tries it'll start, 30 or below your waistin your time. After crankin and crankin it'll fire and die suddenly. Keep in mind any other temp. Or time it drives perfect, with no signs of trouble.
Hi:
Believe it or not, today's cars do know the temp. My best suggestion is to wait for colder temps, 30 or below and take it to the dealer the day before it gets that cold. Have them check it first thing in the AM when you are confident the problem will occurr.

I realize it's a pain, but that is the best you can do.

Let me know what they find. I would really like to know what they find.

-1
AUDLEY
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
2002 tahoe 5.3, 48 lbs fuel pump pressure, spark at plug wire, won't start, cranks a little faster and sounds as though it wants to start, but won't. Battery is up and there is plenty of fuel. I don't want to start putting sensors on at random. Audley
**Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.
MOTORACER215
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
2002 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 10000 miles

My wife and I just inherited a 2002 Tahoe from her parents, however whenever you go below half tank of gas the truck wont start. If you add a few gallons to it, then it will start. Even though there is plenty of gas in the vehicle, for some odd reason it thinks that is empty. Is this a fuel pump? Thanks
BLACKOP555
Sounds to me that the pump is getting bad causing it not to be able to create enough suction to suck up the gas.
+1
GEORCHMB
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Engine problem
2002 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

The truck will not start up until I try several times when it is cold. It seems worse the colder it is. The engine will turn over but not start. Thanks very much