HOW DO I TIGHTEN MY PULLEY ON MY ENGINE? I ALSO HAVE A CHIRPING SOUND COMING FROM THE BELT.

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

anthony-wayne

January, 10, 2012 AT 4:25 AM

The main engine pulley is the problem, it wobbles when the engine is running and I think it may come off. I've tried to tighten it with a socket wrench but the whole assembly and belt turns.

caradiodoc

January, 10, 2012 AT 4:49 AM

Does the engine run? It can not run if the harmonic balancer is spinning on the crankshaft. For that reason, I assume you're turning the entire crankshaft which can easily be done with hand tools. That means just the outer ring has come unglued from the center hub. That will affect only the operation of the serpentine belt, nothing else. There is no fix for that. The balancer must be replaced. If you try any type of repair attempt, it absolutely will not be successful. When that ring flies off, the crankshaft position sensor will most likely be destroyed along with anything that ring hits. Think of it as potential shrapnel.

You would be smart to replace the belt too. You might get away with reusing the old one but the grooves are much more sensitive to improper wear than on the old V-belts. It is very likely to cause a squeal or chirping sound from the wear.

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Ignition System Test Guide
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015