2002 CHEVY CAVALIER Z24

• pbg4life1
  • 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier
  • manual

I have a 2002 chevy cavalier z 24 and I cant get the reverse lights to work I checked the fuse and the bulbs the brake ligt about it comes on but no reverse lights?

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 1:41 AM

• cadieman

Turn on the key cycle the prindle to see if they blink on. The reverse lights run off the neutral switch. Its wereyoull see it under the shift cable their are 2 13mm screws holding it the shift cable hooks to the transaxle. Key on and shift to rev. Then lossen the bolts and turn it l and r when you see the reverse lights come on tighten the switch. If no youll have to replace the neutral switch.

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 2:36 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Hey Cadie man, just wanted to chime in, this is a manual trans so there will be a back up switch located on the trans that would be suspect if no power is arriving at socket and fuse is good, you will have to check and test backup switch

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 2:40 AM
  • cadieman

Make sure the car starts in park and neutral and the rev. Lights work when done.

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 2:41 AM
  • cadieman

If the turnsignals work the switch is bad or open harness. My answer is for a automatic where pro is for manual

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
  • pbg4life1

Can u get to the switch by removing the center console?

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 3:11 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

With my Jeeps, the darn connectors will come off of the Back-up light switch. From bouncing around. Yours could have done the same!

To verify if you got a bad B/ U light switch on your manual tranny

Remove the connector to the back-up switch, then jump across the connectors 2 contacts (paper clip, etc)

Then turning your key to the "ON" position, will FOOL your system into thinking the switch was turned on by the Gear Shift

If your Back-Up lights do come on, You most likely have a Bad Switch (or something in the tranny ain't activating the switch.

I would sling you a Picture or Diagram of exactly where the switch is located, but I am unable to locate one on the On-line Repair manual, I have access to.

Let us know the deal, or even if you get bogged down, and something else may be wrong

BE SAFE, CARS ARE HEAVY, DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC!

The Medic

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 3:13 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

BESTUS I COULD DO!!!

LEFT REAR OF TRANNY

DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO!

I USED TO STRADDLE DITCHES TO CHANGE MY OIL WHEN I CHANGED MY OIL, WHEN I WAS IN THE ARMY!!!

HERE'S WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2002-Chevrolet-Cavalier/Back-Up-Light-Switch/_/N-jh4qqZ9cio2?filterByKeyWord=BACK+UP+LAMP+SWITCH&fromString=search

THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK UNDER THERE...BEST PIC AVAILABLE TO ME!

I DONE GOOD SO FAR???....SEE-UNS....HOW I AIN'T NEVER BEEN UNDER A CAVALIER'S HOOD IN MY LIFE!...........HUH?

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 4:19 PM
  • cadieman

If it is a automatic refer to my first answer. If its a stick there is a switch on the transmission like protech said. Any parts store will sell it to you. They show where it goes thru diagrams.

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 11:18 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

WE WERE JUST SORTA GOING BY THE INFORMATION AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!

MAYBE WE SCARED 'EM OFF!

Pbg4life1, YOU GOT THAT THING FIGURED OUT YET?

WE'RE DYING FOR A RESPONSE!

ANSWERING WITHOUT AN OUTCOME. IS LIKE MISSING A SOAP OPERA EPISODE TO US!

Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 11:26 PM
  • pbg4life1

Thank you I got it it was the switch. But also my motors are out of my windows are the fairly easy to replace?

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 5:28 PM