Car trouble

PHOEBE
  • 2001 TOYOTA CELICA
My 2001 toyota celica wont start, cranks but no fire or spark tried another ecm but no luck. Checked all wires, fuses. Fuel pump cuts in when trying to start the car. The coils, ignition was also checked. The mecanic at the garage told me he didnt know what was wrong. Please help. My cars been at the garage for 5 weeks. The mecanic also told me she could be in lockdown mode.I dont know if the car as security. But do have a sensor in the key. Thanks
Friday, April 1st, 2011 AT 9:56 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Friday, April 1st, 2011 AT 10:25 PM
PHOEBE
Thanks for the info, im going to pass it to the mecanic at the garage where my sons car is. Im going to give you more info on the car. First of all his battery is getting bad and needs to be replaced becaused when he go 3 or 4 days without driving it he would need a boost, once it was boosted it worked fine.5 days after last using her he put in a new stereo then gave her a boost but would not go so I figured he hooked the stereo up wrong, took the stereo out but still the same. He noticed a fuse was blown replaced it and got her started drove about a kilomter then started spuddering and stopped, couple days after my husband was going to tow her to the garage so he decided to give a boost just to see if she would start, she started but once u take the cables of she would stop did this 3 times, same thing everytime. So my husband got ready to tow her and a friend of ours looked at the fuses and said the main fuse is blown, towed her to the garage, mecanic checked the fuses 4 fuses were blown plus the main fuse, replaced them all but still nothing, also said that my son had the stereo hooked up correctly, I asked what caused the fuses to blow he said could of had the booster cables hooked up wrong, my son said maybe he did have them hooked up wrong, he also said the cables were wet when he put them on his battery. Talked to the mecanic afews days after, thats when the mecanic said he checked the wires and fuses ect. And dont know whats wrong with her.I called another mecanic at a toyota place which is a 3 hour drive from us. He said there must be another fuse blown, and to have the fuel pump checked, so I called the mecanic where my sons car is asked him did he check all the fuses, he said he never tested the fuses, but looked at them by eye and said it didnt look like there was any more blown is it possible there might be another fuse blown that you cant see just by looking? The mecanic is gone to cuba for a week or 2. When he comes back I will give him the info. Anymore info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 1:49 PM
WRENCHTECH
If he's a real mechanic, you don't need to tell him how to do things.
Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 3:43 PM
PHOEBE
Your absolutely right, I guess hes not a real mechanic. Lol I guess I will have to take her to a real one, probably looking at big bucks but I guess it has to be done. Thanks for your time.
Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 4:04 PM