Why do the wheel bearings keep breaking?

BIGGSA
  • 2001 SUBARU OUTBACK
I have a 2001 Subaru Outback limited LL Bean Edition I purchased 6 years ago. I know nothing about cars and need advice. I bought it used with 70,000 miles. I had to to replace both front wheel bearings in the first year at about $650. I had to replace the driver side bearing again 2 1/2 years and about 20,000 miles later. Now, at 190,000 miles they both need to be replaced again. Why is this happening so often and does $700. Seem to be a fair price?
Thanks,
Angie Biggs
St. Augustine, FL
Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 11:07 PM

SATURNTECH9
So the drivers side bearing you replaced when you first got the car the one replaced lasted 20,000 miles then the replacement one lasted another 100,000 miles?The right side one you replaced when you got the car lasted a120,000 miles. So overall from what you have said is the left bearing that was first replaced only lasted 20,000 miles other then that the other bearings replaced lasted longer then the oringal bearings. So do they use salt on the roads in the winter where you live?
Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 11:27 PM
BIGGSA
I live on a small dirt road and about a 3 blocks from the beach. My husband wondered too if the dirt and salt air has something to do with it. When the bearings get rusty do they have to get replaced or can they be oiled?
Thursday, April 12th, 2012 AT 9:25 PM
SATURNTECH9
The bearing that lasted 20,000 miles in those conditions I would say was a short time but the replacement went like 100,000 miles I would that was good life. Also the other one went 120,000 miles thats even better. As far as salt spray goes I have seen it eat car bodys out etc. So it could get into the bearing but the bearings are lasting a good long time I think. Also the bearings are sealed so once they make noise they need to be replaced. Also whats your zip code so I can see what a fair price for the bearings is?
Thursday, April 12th, 2012 AT 11:31 PM
CHOPPER
If you are going to same mechanic sounds to me like cheap parts. The bearings are SEALED so salt and dirt have little effect. It is an all wheel drive ment for snow and dirt.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 5:09 AM
SATURNTECH9
Ment for snow and dirt add salt and all bets are off I have seen all kinds of bad things salt and snow do to cars.I used to live and work in upstate new york on cars.I saw and replaced parts I never had to when I worked on cars in southern california with the salted roads. The replacement bearings lasted longer then the factory ones so I would say it wasnt a cheap part. Aside from the one that lasted 20,000 miles sealed bearings or not salt finds a way to get into everything. Cars and all the parts that are on the car arent designed to be driven on salted roads.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 6:26 AM