Transmission shift hard when fan is on

PRLJM79
  • 2001 SATURN L200
Transmission shifts very hard. Code P0113. Replaced intake air temperature sensor (IAT) and the throttle control sensor (TCS). Replaced Engine mounts. Replaced wiring from IAT to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Same problem. When I clear the code, the car will run perfectly and shift completely normal but after fifteen minutes the radiator fans will kick on full blast and will not cut off and the car shift hard. Is it the PCM?
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 8:14 PM

SATURNTECH9
So do you still have the P0113 code?Also any other codes like p1811?
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM
PRLJM79
Yes still getting P0113, no additional codes at this time
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 8:27 PM
PRLJM79
Also, no matter what temperature the car is, the scan tool reports the IAT temperature at -40 degrees, Celsius.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 8:32 PM
SATURNTECH9
We need to start with the -40 iat sensor you said you replaced the wiring to it but did you replace the connector also with a new one.I have seen bad wires to the connectors and bad crimps to the connectors. So let me know.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 8:48 PM
PRLJM79
I checked the connector thoroughly and the wires I replaced, I went ahead and soldered to the connector. I wonder, does it matter which leads go to which connector on the sensor? If so, I could perhaps switch the leads around to see if I flipped them by accident.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 9:09 PM
SATURNTECH9
All the connectors I have replaced I couldnt visually see anything wrong with them the code your setting is because its reading -40 degrees that is reading as a open circuit like the sensor isnt even hooked up. If you replaced the wires back to computer then the only thing left is the connecter. To prove this get a multimeter put it on the lowest ohms setting and see what it reads from the computer connector to iat connector. Also inspect the iat connector for open terminals terminal A at the iat connector should have a gray wire and the B terminal should have a tan wire going to it.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
PRLJM79
Measured the resistance to the connector and is read 004 ohms with the multimeter set to 200 on both leads.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 11:42 PM
SATURNTECH9
So it says 4 ohms that is a little high it should be 2 ohms or less. How is the terminals to the iat sensor are the open or closed?
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
PRLJM79
What do you mean? Are you asking if there is voltage running from the PCM to the IAT or are you asking if the terminals look like they are physically damaged?
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 3:05 AM
SATURNTECH9
Unplug the iat sensor look the terminal openings they should be closed and not able to look down into a opening to the bottom of it. Thats what I was asking let me know.
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM
PRLJM79
Ok, in that case they are open when you unplug the terminal from the IAT.
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 3:48 AM
SATURNTECH9
Alright if they are open then you have to take a small pick like a dental pick and carefully bend the tab over to the other side to close the terminal opening so it will make contact on the iat sensor terminals. Other wise you will have to just get a new connector. After you do that check the iat reading on the computer and let me know what it reads.
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 3:55 AM
PRLJM79
Closed the terminals. Reconnected the battery and tried it. As usual, car ran normal for about 15 minutes then fan kicked on and tra
nny started shifing hard. Same code was retuned p0113
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM
PRLJM79
Closed the terminals. Reconnected the battery and tried it. As usual, car ran normal for about 15 minutes then fan kicked on and tranny started shifing hard. Same code was retuned p0113
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM
SATURNTECH9
So the scan tool is still reading -40 degrees?
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 8:37 PM
PRLJM79
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 AT 9:34 PM
PRLJM79
Any ideas?
+1
Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 AT 2:59 PM
SATURNTECH9
Follow the trouble tree I posted let me know what you find.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 AT 5:42 PM
PRLJM79
If I get a new PCM for it, do I need to have it reprogrammed if it comes out of the exact same type of car?
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 7:27 PM
PRLJM79
Also what would happen if you put it in without programming it but it turns out that it did need to be programmed?
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 7:32 PM