STALLING AUTOMATIC

2001 Peugeot 206

Scarlet Watson

July, 3, 2012 AT 12:49 PM

My car is a peugeot 206 automatic. Recently it has started stalling in traffic. When it stalls it will not start again for about 8-10min which sort of seems like something is getting hot and cooling down! This is happening only occasionally (once a week maybe). This makes it very hard for the garage to diagnose. I have changed the air filter and plugs to no avail. The garage didn't seem very helpful as they couldn't reproduce the problem when there. I have been looking online and thought maybe it was the stepper motor - does this sound feasible? Is there another more sensible solution anyone can think of – as I am getting fed up (and a bit scared) of being pushed to the side of the road in traffic!

Thanks for helping
Scarlet

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

July, 3, 2012 AT 4:39 PM

Did you check for trouble code? Is the MIL indicating?

If it is hard to start t most probably is due to ignition or fuel system problems.

Scarlet Watson

July, 3, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

The garage didn't get an error code on the diagnostic. If it were directly fuel related why would it only occur in heavy traffic. It always starts fine from cold and goes great in normal traffic flow. It only seems to occur when the engine gets hot in a queue. The other thing is why does it take ten minutes or so before it starts again. The engine turns over so it isn't starter motor related.

Thanks for your help though

July, 3, 2012 AT 8:17 PM

When it stalled and could not start, that is the time you need to find out what is smssing causing the non starting.

There are many possibilities and one of it could be the engine Coolant Sensor.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

The above link explains what to look for.

Scarlet Watson

July, 4, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

Thanks for your help on this that link is really useful. Also I didn't know what the MIL was but I looked it up and realised that the yellow light [MIL) indicator does come on before I stall. The yellow light comes on then all the red ones after. Does this mean it is the engine management system that is faulty?

Scarlet

July, 4, 2012 AT 9:10 PM

If the MIL comes on first before the engine stalled, then a fault has been detected in the engine management system and I believe trouble codes shoudl be present in the computer. If you fail to get any trouble codes, check to see if there are any freeze frame data.

If both are negative, you would have to plug in the scan tool and go for a test drive while monitoring the system. Some trouble codes are not stored so if the engine is turned off, the codes would be erased.