I HAVE A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2001 Mitsubishi Galant

MitsuGal

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:30 AM

Our 2001 Mitsubishi Galant lost forward power suddenly while we were driving in heavy rain. The engine starts and idles but the car has no forward power. Is it an electrical problem caused by rain or standing water on the road? We had to be towed. We were driving in heavy rain and suddenly lost transmission power. We coasted to the roadside and ended up having to be towed. The car starts and idles fine. However the check engine light is on and there is no driving power whatsoever. The engine revs but never gets into gear, so to speak. Do we have an electrical issue? Did the heavy rain or standing water on the road cause this? All lights and fans and other auxiliary items seem to work.

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

rivermikerat

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:37 AM

Doubtful but possible. Find a parts store or something that will loan or rent a scantool and let us know what codes are stored. If not possible, let me know. I'll see what else I can come up with. Does it go into reverse at all? Can you shift it into 1st manually?

MitsuGal

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:41 PM

The transmission does not engage when we shift it into gear. It just idles or revs. There is no forward or reverse motion at all. At this point we haven't located a shop with a scantool. We tried to find a Sunday mobile auto repair, and there are several advertised but no one answered their phones. Now we are trying to rent a truck and tow bar and tow it a LONG WAY home.

rivermikerat

October, 9, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

That sounds to me like you're in the market for either a transmission rebuild or a new/rebuilt transmission.

Check the linkage to the transmission. Make sure it is connected and moving properly.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250