1997 Mitsubishi Galant Transmission slipping/no overdrive

MOM2MALACHI
  • 1997 MITSUBISHI GALANT
I purchased this car January 28, 2008 & after leaving the dealership it started "revving" out between 1st & 2nd gear and then an extremely hard shift. We then discovered it also had no overdrive. A couple of days later the check engine light came on & was diagnosed as cylinder 2 misfire & faulty speed sensor. We replaced all plugs, wires, etc & the speed sensor. Check engine light was reset & did not come back on. However the "revving" did not stop, nor did the hard shift & still no overdrive. The dealership got a used transmission for us & my husband installed it & the problem is no different except there is no "slamming" into gear (no hard shift). I find it unlikely we'd have the same problem w/ 2 different transmissions, however nobody seems to be able to offer any ideas... Can you help? Thank you, Jessica M. Bourn
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008 AT 10:45 AM

MARCUS15
I have a 1997 Galant also. Before I bought it I asked a dealer about the model and he mentioned that it was known for transmission problems. I bought it anyways had it for about 3 years now. The hard shifting (OD on) was a regular occurence. Just recently the same problem you mentioned started, the slipping between gears and check engine light is on. I turned off the OD and actually it seems to be running normal (except for the lack of overdrive of course) I'm not a mechanic and can't offer any solution. Just thought I 'd let you know that this seems to be an issue with this car, since I have the EXACT same problem.
-1
Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 3:48 PM