OK SO I CANT SEEM TO GET MAY CAR STARTED

2001 Mazda Protege

883sportire

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:20 PM

I blew a head gasket or cracked the head not sure. So I replaced the gasket and got I slightly used head. Only has 20,000 on the head. When setting the timing I set correctly it back fires. Thought I was 180* out rest it. It did the same thing. Reset it again back fired again and wont start still. I've dont that like 20 times. But I dont understand why the car is back firing and why it wont start. What should I check next

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:24 PM

Seems to me the valve timing is still off-Are you putting piston no.1 on its compression stroke/TDC? If so check fuel pressure-

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

If backfiring, chances are timing is still an issue. Also, check compression to make sure it is within spec. Make sure fuel pressure is within spec. Make sure you are getting a good hot blue snapping spark.

883sportire

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:40 PM

How cant I test the compression without a compression tester. Im broke lol and trying to fix this as cheap as possible. And how do I know the compression stroke. Cuz when I did it the first time it seemed like it was on the exhaust stroke so I spun the crank 1 complete rotation. And put that at TDC did the same thing so I thought maybe I was 90* out so I spun the crank another rotation put no1 on TDC and it still did it. I repeated that like 20 times lol.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:58 PM

You need to align the timing marks. As far as the compression, many parts stores will lend tools. You may have to put money down when you get it, but it will be returned when you return the tool.

883sportire

February, 14, 2012 AT 9:07 PM

I have alined the timing marks on the cam. If its not the compression and im setting the timing corectly. And I have spark cuz when I pull the plugs a little smoke comes out of them when I turn over the crank by hand. So what else could it be

Wrenchtech

February, 14, 2012 AT 9:07 PM

There is no such thing as 180 when setting a timing belt and backfiring is not a symptom of a belt out of time. It's an ignition issue. I'll bet you have the firing order wrong.

883sportire

February, 14, 2012 AT 10:18 PM

The firing order is 1-3-4-2. The motor is a 96 mx6 motor still a 2.0l I use the head off the 01 protege 2.0l the first time. Car ran ok. But if crusing about 60 it would "miss" but didnt have a firing problem I check. Blew the head gasket and now im replaced the head with a 98 2.0l head. And it wont start

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2012 AT 10:21 PM

If you have fuel, spark, timing is correct, and COMPRESSION, it has no choice but to run. The only thing you didn't check is compression. See if you can get a gauge from a parts store that rents tools. If you have everything else, I need to know that the compression is within spec. However, as wrenchtech mentioned, double check the firing order to make sure. That will cause a backfire. So can a partially open valve.

883sportire

February, 14, 2012 AT 10:29 PM

How do I check the firing order. I have just always put the 2 coil packs back to where the went and the other 2 wires back to where they went. And should I check my valve lashings maybe there to tight?

Wrenchtech

February, 14, 2012 AT 10:35 PM

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/91183814.gif

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230