TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2001 Honda Civic

myyout

June, 7, 2011 AT 1:27 AM

I was driving recently and the transmission was pulling, then the check engine light came on. When I got to my destination ~3 miles down the road, & tried to back into a parking spot, the car would barely move. It goes into gear but only moves sometimes. The OBDII pulled code P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. What does that mean. Do I need a new tranny?

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

fixitmr

June, 7, 2011 AT 5:26 AM

P0740 refers to a faulty lock-up control system in your automatic transmission - lock-up clutch doesn't engage.

There's the step by step way to resolve the problem. You'ld have to measure the line pressure at the lock-up control solenoid valve to find out exactly what the problem is.

Typically thre pressure should be between 120 - 130 psi at 2000 rpm. If you have none or low line pressure while in gear N or P, it could be caused by a bad torque converter, ATF pump, pressure regulator, or torque converter check valve.

If it falls within specification, you may be luck to just have to replace your lock-up control solenoid ($46 from ebay. Com)

first thing i'd do is check the fluid level.