WHY IS MY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FAILING?

1993 Honda Civic

softtechs

Last week while driving in D4, the transmission started to slip to where the car would not go in any gear. The engine would go top speed, but the transmission just would not engage. Towed home. Purchased a used 95 AT from a local trusted wrecking yard, installed a new torque converter and o-ring, filled with a quart of Honda AFT. While at it I also replaced the axles and ball joints. I drained all old AFT from used transmission and pick it back together.

The problem: Start car and running great with front wheels off the ground. I put the car in D4 and we get the wheel spinning. Change gears to reverse. Still good. After about 5 minutes we get no movement from the tranny. Turn the car off for 5-10 seconds, we then have access to all the gears, then dies a few minutes later.

I have the service manual and read it like 10 times. I've checked the Lock up Solenoids (15.5 ohms and get a click when 12v is connected). No CEL lights or ODB0 errors in the system. I just don't know where else to check. Could it be a bad ECU or bad trans?

I hope you did not use the same fluid from the old trans.

Anyway. It sounds like you have internal failure. Get a trans shop to check it for to confirm and give you a bid.

softtechs

Thanks for the reply! No, I used NEW Honda AFT only. Seems like I need to exchange the used trans for another one.

My suggestion is to take the bad one to a trans shop and have them rebuild it. Messing around with used units that are no good is a waste of time and money. At least get a bid on it.

softtechs

You might be right about that when it comes to automatic's. I'll just have to take it out and take it a local transmission shop. Thanks for you advise!

Good luck

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions