FRONT WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT ON SANOMA

2001 GMC Sonoma

dmetalman

November, 14, 2010 AT 4:15 AM

How do I replace the front and rear bearings on the FRONT wheels on a 2001 Sonoma PU.

fixitmr

November, 14, 2010 AT 4:59 AM

Looks like a easy 1. It's 1 piece that bolts in. Bolt heads are on the backside

fixitmr

November, 14, 2010 AT 5:05 AM

1. Jack the vehicle up and support with proper jack stands.
2. Have a helper hold the brake pedal while you loosen the Axle Shaft Nut. This usually requires a large socket (30mm or larger) and impact wrench.
3. Remove the brake caliper and brake rotor. Use string or a plastic tie to hang the caliper up and out of the way.
4. Unplug ABS sensor (if applicable)
5. Unbolt the hub flange. The hub may come free from the axle shaft easily, if not, use a gear puller or similar tool that pulls on the hub while pushing on the axle shaft. DO NOT try to drive the axle out with a hammer, this could ruin your axle CV joints.

Reverse order to install.

dmetalman

November, 14, 2010 AT 5:33 AM

Thank you for your reply, but I think you misunderstood my question. How do I replace the bearings complete.

fixitmr

November, 14, 2010 AT 6:46 AM

What do you mean by complete? The front wheel bearing is a complete unit with an inner and outer race.

fixitmr

November, 14, 2010 AT 6:59 AM

You didn't mention 2 or 4 wheel drive? Is yours 2wd?

dmetalman

November, 14, 2010 AT 4:31 PM

I am sorry it is a two wheel drive.
Yes there is a inner and outer race and I see there is an outer bearing and inner bearing. How do I remove and insert the new bearing race?

fixitmr

November, 14, 2010 AT 8:51 PM

There should be a small notch on opposite sides of seat area where cup is seated. By going thru to the backside of each cup you can use these the get a spot to tap on the race shell(cup)with a punch or adequate sized screwdriver head. By tapping alternately on each side you work the cup out. You then install new 1 by tapping evenly around edge or using old bearing to drive it in all the way. Have fun

Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer