Heater help

JAFFERSON
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
My van's heater is giving me a hard time! I have replaced the auto temp control module and the blower fan but it keeps on quiting on me in the coldest of weather. But every time it stops working, I give it a ground boost and it starts over again. What could the problem be.I just cant stand dealing with this in 30 below.
any input will be appreciated
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

What quits, the module or the fan? What does "starts over again" mean? The problem occurs again or something starts working properly again? What are you grounding? Before you holler back, check for loose fuses in the Integrated Power Module, (fuse box / computer) under the hood when the problem is acting up.

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 3:33 PM
JAFFERSON
The fan is the one that quits. As soon as I connect a tester from the black wire of the blower fan to ground (car body), the fan starts working normally again. I have checked for loose fuses and connectors but all seems fine. Also noticed today that the fan speed fluctuates when I apply brakes to slow down. Thanks for the assistance
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 5:13 AM
Ahh, for the good old days when cars were built with common sense. There are four computer modules involved in running the fan motor. By grounding the black wire you bypassed part of the front blower module. I can't tell you where it is but the two fan wires plug into it with a two-wire connector. Before you replace it, check for continuity to ground on its ground wire. That is the black / orange wire in the other three-pin connector.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 6:42 AM
JAFFERSON
I understand the module you are talking about is the one behind the glove box just by the fan motor. I had replaced this particular module when I changed the blower fan as mentioned in my earlier post. Anyway I will check for continuity as you suggested and will get beck to you with my findings asap. Thanks
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 7:03 PM
Hold on. You said you replaced the auto temp control module. That is the control assembly on the dash. That one has an output wire that goes to the fan module to tell the module how fast to run the fan motor. I would suspect the controller as the most likely cause of the dead fan.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 7:30 PM
JAFFERSON
I think I may have used a differnet name for a part. The module behind the glovebox is what I replaced and that is what I reffered to as the automatic temp control module.
So are you suggesting, the **** used to control the speed of the fan in the centre of the dash (below audio system) is what the problem could be?
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 7:35 PM
That module you replaced gets a coded signal from the main controller. The controller is what the heater and AC controls are part of. Up to at least 1999, the controller was built onto the back of the faceplate around the radio. I think it was still like that for 2001 but I was gone from the dealership by that time. That plate is held on with four screws.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 8:15 PM
JAFFERSON
Got it. So u think the controller on the dash is the problem? Now would that be the speed control **** or the temp regulation buttons? Also I did check for continuity as u had suggested and it seems to be perfect. Could a weak blower fan be the cause?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 12:00 AM
Both controls are built into the computer module.

You know the fan motor is good because it ran when you grounded it.

Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 4:45 AM
JAFFERSON
So whats your opinion? Change the computer module behind the glovebox?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 5:42 AM
No. The HVAC computer is the one with the heater controls. It should be behind the plate that goes around the radio

caradiodoc
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 6:40 AM