2001 Dodge Caravan

GARKEL34
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
My van is overheating very quick after starting and there is no heat. I have no coolant leaks and just replaced thermostat.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM

HAHNY1
Have you checked your water pump. If its not working it will not circulate you coolant and might explain the no heat. Also are the fans working?
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:56 PM
GARKEL34
Checked both hoses going into firewall and both are hot, asuming water pump is good. It doesnt appear that the fans are working. How can I tell if its the actual fan or the relay? Will fans not working cause the no heat? I know it will cause it to overheat. Any suggestions? Any help would be great. Thanks so far.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 9:04 PM
HAHNY1
My fans quit working and it was a fuse under the hood but you can test them by unpluging them and running a fused wire to the battery and a ground. If it's not the fuse and the fans do work there is a relay also.I priced the relay out and it was around 75 bucks. This could explain the overheating if the fans aren't working. Mine made the check engine light come on though. As far as the not heating inside I would check fuses, does the fan blower motor work? Did it blow heat before you changed the thermostat.(Thinking maybe an air pocket) Another thing is maybe the heater core is plugged but since both hoses are warm I'm not sure, sorry I can't be of more help.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 12:41 AM
Make sure that you bled the system. Based on your discription, it sounds like you have an air block. With the engine cold, loosten the return heater core hose and start the engine. If there is air in the system, it should push out and coolant through.
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 2:39 AM