MY HAD A BURNING CLUTCH SMELL A NOW HAS TO BE REVVED REALLY HARD TO DRIVE?WHATS WRONG WITH IT?

2001 Daihatsu Terios

bekles

February, 15, 2012 AT 6:50 AM

Hi guys I hope u can help? I did something super dumb and decided to try and trample down some really long grass I was too scared to walk thru! Yes! U probably guessed right! Im a girl! Aftet all who else wud do somethin dumb like that? Lol anyway had a funny burning smell! My boyfriend said the clutch was gone. But turned out to be bogged, of which he managed to tow out! My clutch appeared to be gone but he managed to adjust it(my hero) but now need to be revved really really hard to drive at all! Can u pls help? Also had a problem with really screechy fan belt. But seemed hard to fix, but my friend thought was the pulleys, wud that be right? Cheers silly bekles

cup1981

February, 15, 2012 AT 6:59 AM

By "revved really high to drive" do you mean it takes a lot of effort to get it moving or that the rpm goes really high before it starts moving?

A glazed pulley can certainly make one heck of a screeching noise from under the hood. I would try adjusting the belt first.

bekles

February, 15, 2012 AT 7:30 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, I mean the rpm has to be revved really high before it moved! Cheers bekls

cup1981

February, 17, 2012 AT 12:28 PM

Sounds to me like the clutch is slipping badly. It may need readjusted, but most likely it needs replaced. A good test is to put on the parking brake, put it in 1st gear and slowly ease out the clutch. The SUV should nearly stall out at about the halfway point of the clutch's upward travel. If it does not stall out until nearly full release or starts making a bad whining or screeching sound, then the clutch needs replaced. Give that a shot then shoot me a message. Thanks.

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda