ABS Light

GEORGE ENGLER
  • 1 POST
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

This truck is a Z71. ABS brake light comes on except in colder weather. Works fine below thirty degrees. Codes are as follows:

C0265
C0251
C0246
C0242
C0252
C0245

Any ideas?

Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 6:53 PM

SATURNTECH9

I posted the trouble tree for the code's C0251,C0246,C0242,C0252,and C0245.Code C0265 is a code for a internal failure in the ebtcm also. So your best bet is to follow the trouble tree i posted. Here is the description for the code's.
DTC C0241-C0254 or C041-C054

This video will show you how to scan the ABS system.

https://youtu.be/rTtAnsOlZU4

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-warning-light-on-easy-repair-guide

Circuit description:
The ABS relay supplies battery voltage to six valve solenoids (right front dump/isolation, left front dump/isolation, and rear dump/isolation). The EBCM microprocessor applies the grounds needed to activate each solenoid. The low side of each solenoid coil has a feedback circuit to the EBCM microprocessor. When a solenoid is commanded off the feedback voltage is high. When a solenoid is commanded on, the feedback voltage is low.

Conditions for Running the DTC

* The ignition is on.
* The vehicle speed is greater than 6 km/h (4 mph) .

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The EBCM detects an internal malfunction.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
C0241, C0242, C0245, C0246, C0251, C0252, C0253, C0254
If equipped, the following actions occur:

* The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS.
* The ABS indicator turns on.
* The red Brake warning indicator turns on.

C0243, C0244, C0247, C0248

* The EBCM disables the ABS.
* The ABS indicator turns on.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.

Diagnostic Aids
An intermittent open/shorted solenoid DTC can be set by several different internal EBCM problems. Replace the EBCM if an open/shorted solenoid DTC continues to set intermittently.

Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 10:05 PM
KEN

This is a common problem with the ABS control module we replace them all the time.

Here is a guide and a video on how the job is done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-abs-controller

and

https://youtu.be/lUotkKXG9dY

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, December 1st, 2017 AT 3:21 PM
JEAVO
  • 1 POST
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

The ABS and BRAKE panel warning lights are on constantly. My dealer tells me that the computer is at fault, and would cost $1100 to repair. My experience with Jet ABS systems has been that the wheel generators are almost always at fault. Also the brakes 'snub' almost like a bent wheel feeling when going down hill. I don't want to pay $1100 for a computer is this the problem?

Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:42 PM (Merged)
JACK42

Depends on the codes it is throwing, but the GM ABS units have problems with the power relays and the such and they are built into the EBCU. The odds of it being the computer ar pretty good

-1
Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:43 PM (Merged)
FROGGG69
  • 1 POST
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

both abs and brake light are on. I know its a recall and a problem in winter states where salt and sand cause corrosion, I know it has brake pedal and brakes do work, I understand some how it has something to do with the speed sensors. This problem interferes with the brake hydrolics. No brake fluid loss! All brake lines are good

JACK42

There are more than just wheel sensor issues with that system. You need to have the ABS system scanned for codes to know why the lights are on. It has disabled the ABS for now, so yes you have brakes, but no ABS. With a failure code we can see exactly why the light is on

HERM09
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The brake light comes on and the ABS light comes on not right away but after you drive the truck a coulpe of miles just. Just changged brkes and also on of the calipers That whrer sticking hat problems in the past when the bearings went bad and causd the abs light to come on but every thing looks fin unless it it just hhe sensor going back. Or what else could be causing this to happin and making he brake light come on aslo. ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APRICIATED THANK YOU!

If the brake fluid is full, chances are you have either a bad sensor or wiring issue at the sensor. Have you ever had the computer scanned when the ABS light is on?

HERM09
  • 2 POSTS

No I have not had it scanned but I will. I have had. To change the hub assemble where the ABS sensor is located. I have seen the bearings go out and eat up the sensor causing it to make the light come on but not both lights at the same time. Also I believe that water made the sensor go of befor on a different truck but it seemed like the light went off once it dried out. Is there any way to tell witch sensor it is, does the scanner tell you im guessing not unles it is a TECH II. Ill check and le you know what I found. THANK YOU.

It could be something as simple as low brake fluid. However, the scanner should direct you to the correct component that is causing the light.

Check it out and let me know what you find.

JEFFJ
  • 45 POSTS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2001 CHEVY SILVERADO BRAKE LIGHT AND ABS LIGHT ON DASH COMES ON WHEN HITTING DUMPS IN ROAD. GOES OFF WITH KEY SWITCH MAY NOT COME ON FOR A WHILE. IS THERE A TSB FOR THIS ISSUE?

PROTECH1980
  • 922 POSTS

The first thing to do is get the truck scanned for diagnostic trouble codes in the abs module, retrieve the codes and that will a starting point for diagnoses.

BOB DESLYPER
  • 1 POST
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 134785 miles

I get the "BRAKE" and "ABS" lights come at the same time on for no reason that I can think of. It may do it is I go over a bump or while I am driving along. Every thing appears to be OK with the brakes. It will not go out until you turn the key off and back on. Some times it will stay off for a day then sometimes it comes on right away when you start to drive. There are no codes to be read for this. I've had several suggestions as to what it maybe but nothing for sure.

TEST A: ABS INDICATOR ALWAYS ON
Perform diagnostic system check. See DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK under DIAGNOSIS & TESTING. After performing diagnostic system check, go to next step.
Turn ignition off for 5 seconds. Turn ignition on and observe ABS indicator light. If indicator light illuminates for 2 seconds then turn off, problem is intermittent. If indicator light does not illuminate for 2 seconds or does not turn off, go to next step.
Using scan tool, select instrument panel cluster special functions menu. Command ABS indicator light off. If indicator light turns off when commanded, go to step 5. If indicator light does not turn off when commanded, go to next step.
Replace instrument panel cluster. After replacing instrument panel cluster, go to step 6.
Replace EBCM. After replacing EBCM, go to next step.
Turn ignition off for 5 seconds. Turn ignition on and observe ABS indicator light. If indicator light illuminates for 2 seconds then turn off, system is okay. If indicator does not illuminate for 2 seconds or illuminates but does not turn off, go to step 3.

WOODYDX
  • 1 POST
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 112230 miles

My 2000 Silverado has a problem with the ABS light lighting up on an intermittent basis. It will be off when I first start out then both the regular brake light and the ABS brake light will come on on my light panel. Is there a way to clean the ABS sensors in the brake system to relieve this problem?

DOCFIXIT

Need to get the truck scaned the lights are telling something is wrong in the ABS system.

-2
THEDAZEDONE
  • 1 POST
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

i just replaced the wheel bearing hub on my truck and now the abs light is on I checked the connector on the new hub and everything is ok. Any ideas why the kight is on

DENNYP

You need to check the trouble codes for the abs first. Let me know what the codes are.

ONEBMF35
  • 6 POSTS
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130785 miles

My abs and Brake light comes on once and a while, I have checked all brakes and they seem fine. Good pad and good rotors. Nothing sticking they seem to be working just fine. The abs and brake light will come on in all different situations, from driving down bumpy roads, to braking fast, to just driving down the expressway on cruise control. I was told that it may be my high mount brake light in the back but it also seems to be working fine. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks and have a great day.

Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:44 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

ABS system :*** have it scanned for codes ***

only way you can find out why the light is coming
very common is brake light switch or front wheel bearing and sensor
need to have the codes