TCS and Check Light on my Acura 3.2 TL 2001

MOHDRIYAZ04
  • 2001 ACURA TL
Hi,
I have 2001 Acura 3.2TL. For last 2 months I was in india and had my friend drive it once in a while. When I came back, I had low battrey and had to jump start my car.

I started my car and drove it for lke 10 miles and got Check light and TCS light on.
immediately I got this transmission issue. I was pushing the accelerator, but my car was not moving above 40 mph
initially it ran good upto 60mph. But now when ever I drive my car in D5 (automatic) the car wont move more than 20mph.
I am afriad if my Transmission is gone bad.
please advise what might be the issue and how do I solve this.
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM

KHLOW2008
Get a scan done to retrieve for trouble codes and let me know the EXACT code so I can understand what is wrong.
+1
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 2:39 PM
FUNGUY4
Your tranny is shot
-1
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 6:50 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi FUNGUY4,

How did you come to the conclusion with such limited information?
-1
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 12:13 PM
FUNGUY4
Because I have a TL and had those same symptoms. And took it in and was diagnosed with a bad transmission all the transmissions in the 2000-2003 TL are weak. If acura rebuilt your tranny prior to march of 2003 it will go out again.
+1
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 10:58 AM
KHLOW2008
Not necessarily all symptoms indicates the same fault. The vehicle was parked and seldom driven. Rodents loves such vehicles and some wires might be missing as they are in the stomach of rodents.

A diagnostic is required to confirm the problem and eliminate changing a good transmission and come up with the same problem after installing a replacement.
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 1:33 PM
MOHDRIYAZ04
Hi Guys Thanks for ur response.
My car completely stopped moving and I had to take it to a tranny expert. He said my tranny is gone need a replacement.
Rebuit was costing me 3500, so I thought of going for a used one. I got one used from online and had my mechanic put it in.
It drove ok for 2 days. Then I got the same problem.
I am getting P0730 error code. I already spent 2000 $ on it. Car s driving ok, but somtimes all of a sudden the gear doesnt shift and it wont move more than 20mph.
Pls advise.
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 2:19 PM
KHLOW2008
What was the trouble code with the original transmission? If it is the same code, you could have a wiring or control problem, or the replacement transmission is bad.

When you bought the transmission online, what was the warranty given for the trnsmission? Get back to them about the problem, a possibility they have to get you another unit.

Here are the diagnostic procedures.

DTC P0730: PROBLEM IN SHIFT CONTROL SYSTEM

NOTE:
Keep these replacement solenoid valves on hand:

? Shift solenoid valves A, B, and C
? A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B

1. Check whether the OBD II scan tool indicates another code.

Does the OBD II scan tool indicate another code?

YES - Perform the troubleshooting flowchart for the indicated code(s). Recheck for code P0730 after troubleshooting.

NO - Go to step 2.

NOTE: Do not continue with this troubleshooting until the causes of any other DTCs have been corrected.

2. Measure the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th clutch pressure.

Is each clutch pressure within the service limit?

YES - Go to step 3.
NO - Repair the hydraulic system as necessary.

3. Replace the shift solenoid valve B.

4. Replace the shift solenoid valves A and C.

5. Replace the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B.

6. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and reset the PCM memory by removing the BACK UP fuse in the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for more than 10 seconds.

7. Calibrate the engine idle control system in the PCM, see PCM Idle Learn Procedure, and drive the vehicle at a speed over 12 mph (20 km/h) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear in the [D 5 ] position for more than 30 seconds.

8. Recheck for code P0730.

Does the OBD II scan tool indicate code P0730?

YES - Replace the transmission.
NO - The system is OK at this time.
+1
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 7:11 PM
MOHDRIYAZ04
Thanks. But the problem is, I have to pay for labour again. Which I am in dilemma.
Thinking of selling it as it is. :(
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 7:31 PM
KHLOW2008
This is something that cannot be helped. When you buy a replacement part, you have to take the risk of the part failing, be it new, used or rebuilt.
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 7:38 PM
FUNGUY4
I would never buy a used Tranny in these vehicles from 00-03. They were under recall and honda didn't fix the issue until march of 2003. I know people prior to 03 that have been through 2-3 tranny rebuilds in 100k miles. Mine has been through only one and it was fixed after 2003. I always change my tranny fluid every 15k because of the fact that it has an internal filter that can't be replaced without tearing the tranny apart. They are great cars and have a hell of an engine in them. I would say if the car had alot less miles it would be worth it for ya to fix.I don't know what kind of shape it is in though.
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 10:57 AM
FUNGUY4
P0730 is the code of death for these transmissions. For p0730 if it comes back on your most likely goin to need a transmission. Acura recommends to not waste money on unnecessary solenoid replacement if the vehicle has any of the following:
The odometer has more than 20,000 miles.
The vehicle has a reman A/T.
The ATF is contaminated with friction material
or metal.
The axle seals are leaking or the differential
carrier bearings are loose.
The A/T makes grinding or whining noises.
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 11:02 AM
FUNGUY4
What color is your TL?
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 11:33 AM
FUNGUY4
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 11:51 AM
MOHDRIYAZ04
Mine is a royal blue. Engine is in good shape.
I spoke to the tranny guy abt this code, he said he will send me a another used one. But its again taking risk. And my mechanic says 800$ to put it in. Thinking.
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 2:05 PM
FUNGUY4
Who are you getting these tranny's through?
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 8:06 AM