I AM GETTING POOR GAS MILEAGE AND MY ENGINE IS VIBRATING

2000 Toyota Celica

garrett.prisk@yahoo.com

October, 19, 2011 AT 2:54 AM

My 2000 Toyota Celica is going through way too much gas way too quickly. Also, I'm noticing a great deal of vibration in the car, especially when I'm idling at a stop light or something. When I looked under the hood, I noticed that a lot of the noise and The car seems quite rattle-y
A lot of vibration
I've been suggested that it could be the cadilac converter
I have a belt that I need to install because I'm pretty sure that may be a source to a lot of the noise

rivermikerat

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:02 AM

It could be the catalytic converter, yes. It could also be injectors that aren't spraying properly (fuel system cleaner in the tank should cure it). Air filter needing replacement. O2 sensor(s) malfunctioning. MAF/MAP sensor(s) malfunctioning.

Take it to a shop and have the computer scanned for hard and soft codes (no CEL lit).

fixitmr

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:20 AM

Tell us more about the belt, why it needs replacing?

rivermikerat

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

The rattle could be the heat shield on the catalytic converter. Vibration could be motor/transmission mounts, wheel balance, or a harmonic balancer out of balance.

garrett.prisk@yahoo.com

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:37 AM

The belt has cracks and a hole about the width of my pinky nail. Just some wear and tear from the previous owner.

garrett.prisk@yahoo.com

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:41 AM

The heat shield was loose and I resecured it with some self tapping screws. It could've come undone again though I suppose sine the shield was some what rusty where I had to screw it on

rivermikerat

October, 19, 2011 AT 4:11 AM

Did your repair fix the rattle?

fixitmr

October, 19, 2011 AT 5:50 AM

You dont wanna get stranded from that belt. Better to change now and avoid an inconvenience.

garrett.prisk@yahoo.com

October, 20, 2011 AT 7:38 PM

Could the fuel filter possibly have anything to do with it?

rivermikerat

October, 25, 2011 AT 11:37 PM

A clogged fuel filter will allow less fuel into the intake system.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Engine Torque Mount Replacement
Engine Mount Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier