WHILE DRIVING 50 MPH ENGINE QUIT

• Anonymous
  • 2000 Toyota Camry

WHILE DRIVING 50 MPH ENGINE QUIT. PULLED OFF PLUG WIRE IS FIRING THRU WIRE. TRIED STARTING FLUID WILL NOT EVEN TRY TO START(NOT HITTING-NOTHING JUST CRANK

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 AT 6:19 PM

• ASEMaster6371

I would check the timing belt. It may have failed.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 AT 6:19 PM
  • DaveS777

Um, Roy - if the timing belt is broke - I don't think you would have spark.

If it is worn, and jumped some teeth; you might still get spark; and then the timing would be off. Might check ignition timing first. If that is not correct - then it is almost certain that it is your timing belt; and probably belt tensioner.

Also Compression. Have you been maintaining the car? If the injectors were a bit clogged, you could have possibly been running a bit lean. This heats up the valves more; and possibly you blew a couple of holes in the valves. This would prevent starting.

With no timing belt - it wouldn't start - because you wouldn't have spark. With 'starting fluid' & ignition at the proper time (timing); and compression - it is impossible for it not to fire up for a moment.

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 3:37 PM