I HAVE PURCHASED SECOND HAND 2000 HONDA CIVIC 5 ...

2000 Honda Civic

kamlesh soni

November, 9, 2012 AT 10:26 AM

I have purchased second hand 2000 Honda civic (5 door, heatch back).
When I start my car first time a day, it idles around 1200 rpm. As I start driving, it increased to 1500-1800 rpm. After around 5-10 minutes engine warms up (see on the on cluster panel) the idle doesn't go down to 800 rpm and stays around 1500-2000 rpm.
So I have to stop the engine and start engine again then the idle
goes to 800 rpm.
I had it scanned to a local garage and they say there is no fault code coming up, so it might be problem with a rotary idle air control valve.
But as per my experience & understanding of driving car, when you start a car first time after the engine is cold it will revs high but after engine will warm up it should be settled it-self. With my car it is not happening but when I switched off /on engine when the car is already warm up then the idle speed works ok.

Can you put some lights on this and advise what could be problem.

November, 9, 2012 AT 11:24 AM

Have the IAC cleaned. It could be sticking and allowing excessive air gettin past which would increase the idling speed. Turning the igniton switch ona and off can at times allow the IAC to recalibrate.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L