Temp rising when idle and maintenance required light staying on

PADDY_87
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 200 honda accord and the maintenance required light has just come on and is staying on also when the car is just sitting idle the temp starts to rise but goes back to normal when I keep the engine revs above 2000 or start to drive again both the a/c fan and radiator fan are working when the a/c is on what could the problem be and will it be costly?
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

Check the coolant level and thermostat-start here
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:00 AM
PADDY_87
Thanks what is the thermostat-start here?
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:03 AM
WRENCHTECH
The maintenance required light is just an oil change reminder. To reset it, with the key off hold in the trip reset button on the dash while turning the key on. Continue to hold button down until light flashes and then it's reset. The temperature sounds normal. They always run hotter at idle because the fan is programmed to come on at a higher temp than the thermostat. Make sure it is still full of coolant though.
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
PADDY_87
What type of coolant should I use for the radiator I just checked it there now it has cooled down and there dosent appear to be any coolant in the radiator thanks for all your help
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:25 AM
WRENCHTECH
OK, you need to get it to a shop ASAP and have it pressure tested to find the leak and repair it. The manufacturer recommends only using Honda coolant but there are some excellent universal coolants available. It's not real important now because they are likely going to have to drain it and refill to repair whatever is leaking.
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:30 AM
PADDY_87
If getting it repaired is not an option until Friday could I just keep topping it up until then?
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:34 AM
WRENCHTECH
I wouldn't take that chance. You have no idea what is leaking or whether it could suddenly get much worse. It only takes seconds of too much heat to destroy the engine. I would park it until it's repaired.
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 AT 12:38 AM