2000 Ford Taurus runs hot after about 30 minutes of use.

CHESSY
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
2000 Ford Taurus runs hot after about 30 minutes of use. Water pump, radiator, thermostat were replaced. 3.0 motor in the car. 178,000 miles. No smoke from tailpipe, no unusual smells from car/under hood. Can hear fans running when it's idle however to much noise to be able to tell if they are running while driving. Any advice would be appreciated. I was told to flush the engine by a friend but unsure if that will help keep it from running hot. Thank you.
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

Try flushing it and then bleed the cooling system and see what happens-
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 6:26 PM
CHESSY
Thank you for the quick reply. I really hate to ask but is there anyway you can provide step by step instructions to do the flush and bleed?
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 6:53 PM
Open the drain plug till it runs dry and flush it out till the just plain water coming out of the drain hole-close it and fill it up with the correct coolant

Bleeding the Cooling System

Allow the engine to cool down to ambient temperature.

Open the radiator cap.

Turn the engine on and turn the heat to max. Turning the heat to max allows the radiator fluid to circulate through the cooling system to ensure that all air pockets are eliminated from the system.

Rev the engine to 2,000 RPMs and hold for approximately 10 to 15 seconds and repeat two to three times. This will allow the radiator fluid to circulate throughout the whole system and ensure that all air pockets exit the radiator.

Gently squeeze the upper radiator hose approximately 6 to 12 inches from the radiator cap. Squeeze about five times. This will bring more air pockets up and out of the radiator and will ensure that the engine does not overheat.
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 7:00 PM
CHESSY
Thank you so much. I'm going to try that now. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 7:05 PM
CHESSY
Still running hot :/
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 8:23 PM
Get it chemically or pressure tested to find out more-
Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 10:53 PM
SEE IF THIS POST HELPS YOU

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-jeep-wrangler-overheating

THE ONLY THING I MIGHT ADD IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A INTERMITTENTLY WORKING FAN OR FAN RELAY OR COOLANT TEMPERATURE SWITCH...I'M NOT REAL FAMILIAR W/ YOUR CAR

IF YOUR RADIATOR IS ORIGINAL,DEPOSIT BUILD UP INSIDE MAY HAVE IT SOMEWHAT RESTRICTED AND UNABLE TO DISSIPATE HEAT FAST ENOUGH BEFORE IT GETS CIRCULATED BACK IN.

ONE OF THESE GUNS MIGHT AID YOU IN FINDING OUT THE DROP IN TEMPERATURE FROM THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR TO THE BOTTOM

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Thermometer/_/N-26lq?filterByKeyWord=+INFARED&fromString=search

KEEP US POSTED

+1
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 4:44 PM