I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT`S CAUSING THE NOISE BEHIND MY FRONT NEARSIDE WHEEL.

2000 Ford Focus

markcfc

January, 30, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

I have a ford focus and when I turn the steering wheel i`m getting a grinding type of noise around the front nearside of the car coming from just behind the wheel, but have no idea what could be causing it. It drives fine other than when the I turn the wheels on about a three quarter lock or more, any help would be appreciated.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 1:52 AM

It could be a couple things. Check the brakes and wheel bearing. See if the noise changes when you use the brakes. Also, there is a backing plate behind the rotor. Make sure it didn't rust and is now rubbing the rotor.

markcfc

I m getting no noise when braking or driving in general just when the steering is turned.

mhpautos

February, 1, 2012 AT 10:59 AM

Will it make the noise with the steering turned, engine running and not driving? Or is it only when in motion?

markcfc

February, 2, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

When I turn the wheels with the car stationary I hear a noise like something is catching the bodywork, then when the car is moved and straightened out it sounds like it s releasing the bodywork and grinding at the same time.

mhpautos

February, 3, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Not a mudflap hitting the wheel?

markcfc

February, 3, 2012 AT 6:20 PM

I ll check that but I think it sounds more like some type of joint, thanks mhpautos, just hope your diagnosis is right, it will makes things a lot easier Lol.

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Upper Control Arm Replacement