2000 FORD FOCUS PLEASE HELP

• Fordfocus2000
  • 2000 Ford Focus

Hello so I am very heart broken at the moment because my very first car my 2000 Ford focus is practically dying, every ounce of hard work and savings I put into this car, and the way that it's acting up I'd making me very sad. The problem with the car is, is that it's having a very hard starting when I leave the car alone for a couple of hours, but mostly it's having trouble starting when I don't drive it for a couple of days, but recently its been a couple of hours. Now when it had trouble starting it just makes a very loud click and that's all, until after a couple of times I turn the ignition key it will start. But alas even a greater problem has arise, after I get it started after having problems starting it, it turns off, the whole entire car just shuts off. It has happened a couple of times but it mainly shuts off like that when I just start to get the car going after I have issues starting it. There was an instance where it happened a couple times in a row and it restarted my radio back to factory settings. Now when it shuts down I have my key in full ignition and when it shuts down after a while my radio and lights will turn back on but not the engine, so I take out the key and restart the car. This morning that situation happened where I started the car normally with no problems but it did shut down. I called my boyfriend and he suggested that I let the car warm up first, so I turned it on again with no problems, let it warm up, and the car didn't shut off again. My main concern really is to be driving down the highway and have it turn off and harm me or others, but I really just want to figure out if it an expensive sounding fix, or something really simple like my battery. Thank you for helping me out. God bless.

Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 6:42 AM

• hmac300

Check battery for condition including load test auto parts do this for free. Check to see if battery power is getting to starter then check relays, etc. Also check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent them. Finally try to reset your security system look online for youcar if yo don't have amanual for it.

Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 7:31 AM
  • Fordfocus2000

Thank you! I did get the battery checked, and it turned out that my battery had 383 (volts I believe?) When it was suppose to be 600. I did get the battery replaced, but I was informed that my alternator is actually overcharging the battery at a rate of (15.35 something I forgot the value) (when my car is at full load, air conditioner, headlights etc. It's at a rate of 15.33) when the average is supposed to be 14. Is this something that I have to worry about? Do I have to really replace the alternator? If it just affects the battery, how long will my battery last? And if it does just affect the battery, could I just replace the battery over time, and not the really expensive alternator?

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 2:43 PM
  • hmac300

Nope drive it then get eh alternator retested. It should put out 14.7 max not 15.3 it will take the battery out and every other one you put in until you fix it. Sounds like the regulator in alternator is bad.

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 3:06 PM
  • Fordfocus2000

How much does it cost to replace the regulator in the alternator? They were saying that they were going to charge me almost 500$ for a brand new alternator, and I really don't have that kind of money.

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 3:09 PM
  • hmac300

It's all one assembly if you are mechanically inclined check with an autoparts and see how much it is and replace it your self. It should be on the site here on how to repair, might be a video

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 3:11 PM
  • Fordfocus2000

I have a brother who is mechanically inclined, he wants to ask if the alternator is internally in the engine? And is the alternator is external in my engine because of the year?

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 3:25 PM
  • hmac300

The alternator is external but the regulator is internal and probably soldered inside. He should be able to see it if he looks under the hood. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove accessory drive belt. Remove power steering pipe support brackets from exhaust manifold. Remove 3 nuts and exhaust manifold heat shield. Raise and support vehicle. Disconnect electrical connectors from generator. Remove lower generator mounting bolt. Lower vehicle. Remove wire harness clip from generator mounting bracket, 2 mounting bolts and generator from vehicle. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten fasteners to specification.
Print this part as it shows how to take it off. Unless this is a 2.0L Ztec engine. Pictured is a typical alternator

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 3:31 PM