MY FORD EXPEDITION DIED TODAY WITH A 14 TANK OF ...

2000 Ford Expedition

rhiash

May, 5, 2011 AT 12:46 AM

"My ford expedition died today with a 1/4 tank of gas. It would start for about 2 seconds a" -- because it falls within my area of expertise. I just need a few more details about your situation and I will get to work!

Wrenchtech

May, 5, 2011 AT 1:08 AM

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma