2000 Dodge Caravan transmission wont shift into 3rd

SLATER80801
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
The car drives nicely and will shift into 1st and 2nd gear but wont shift into 3rd gear, please help me! Its a 2000 dodge caravan and I bought the car, the owner said that the transmission needs replacement, I think its a shift seliniod, can you answer my problem?
Monday, October 7th, 2013 AT 4:14 PM

Hi:
A shift solenoid should have turned on the check engine light. Has that happened?
+1
Monday, October 7th, 2013 AT 7:53 PM
SLATER80801
Yes the check engine light is on so can you tell me what that means please?
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 2:52 PM
Your vehicle has an OBD2 computer. OBD stands for On Board Diagnostics. If the light is on, that mean there are Trouble Codes stored in the computer. When the computer is scanned, it will identify which codes are stored and from that, you can tell where the problem is coming from, or at least aprox where the problem is.

What you need to do is have the computer scanned to identify what codes are stored. Hopefully, there will be transmission codes that will point us in the right direction. I'm not sure where you are located, but most parts stores will scan the computer for free with hopes to sell you parts. Lol If you can, take the vehicle to a nationally recognized parts store, tell them your check engine light is on, and ask if they would scan it for you and tell you the codes. Once you do that, let me know what you find and it will help me to determine possible causes.
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 5:08 PM
SLATER80801
Thank you Jacobandnickolas so much for leading me in the right direction, Im on social security diaibilty and have a fixed income so anything you can do to help me Im greatfull for, I will get back to you when I get the codes, and let you know what thay say, hope you have a blessed day and God Bless, Rick
Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 AT 7:33 AM
I'm glad to help. Keep in touch so I know what you find.

Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 AT 8:42 AM