I HAVE A 2000 DODGE CARAVAN

2000 Dodge Caravan

Anonymous

October, 30, 2012 AT 6:16 PM

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan. There is a thumping or banging sound coming from the passenger rear tire area. Mainly when I drive over bumps or holes. Is it the shocks, sway arm, sway arm bushings. What?

Thumping

81 Thumping Noise

caradiodoc

October, 31, 2012 AT 12:19 AM

You know we can't see it over a computer. Feel the anti-sway bar inner bushings and outer links while a helper bounces the back end up and down an inch or two. For the rear shock absorbers you may have better luck with a stethoscope. Be sure the spare tire is tight. Also check the spare tire jack handle. It's on the driver's side but noises often travel.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes