OVERHEATING ISSUES.

2000 Chrysler 300

tino_soccer87

June, 19, 2012 AT 7:47 PM

I have an overheating problem. On a 2000 300m Chrysler.
I replaced the water pump, new timing components, new thermostat (I have changed it 3 times). The fans are both working. There are no leaks. Good coolant circulation. I am afraid head gaskets are put wrong, how would I know?

**When I turn the heat on the tempurature drops to the middle.

Please help.

Wrenchtech

June, 19, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

[quote]I am afraid head gaskets are put wrong[/quote]

What would make you say that? Did you just have head gaskets done?

tino_soccer87

June, 19, 2012 AT 8:35 PM

Yea I was told the head gaskets were bad and the water pump. They were replaced and now my car is overheating. Is there a difference between the right and left head gaskets if they were put on the wrong side?

Wrenchtech

June, 19, 2012 AT 8:40 PM

No, but there is certainly a lot more to do in that job than just toss gaskets on it. The heads needed to go out to a machine shop for testing.

caradiodoc

June, 19, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

Sorry for butting in but your comment on turning on the heater caught my attention. My old minivan acted like that years ago. Ran warm at anything over 60 mph, (when the higher air flow should have helped), and 60 degrees. It was caused by the cooling fins in the radiator being rotted away. Running the rear heater always brought the temperature down.

Also look for a butterfly collection blocking air flow through the radiator.

Wrenchtech

June, 19, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

Turning the heater on merely added some additional cooling to a system that was already overloaded. I suspect there were other issues with the head that weren't resolved.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230